Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the speaker sizes in a 98 a4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 03:57 AM
1st Gear
Default what are the speaker sizes in a 98 a4?

Anyone know offhand? Mine need replacing.

Does anyone know if replacing the head unit and speakers will necessitate any rewiring? i have the bose setup and from what I understand the head unit is wired to the amp which is then wired to the speakers. Which would make replacing the speakers and the head unit with new components a major pain in the ***.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:02 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: what are the speaker sizes in a 98 a4?

acualy if you use an external amp for your speakers it makes everthing easier because all the wireing is done though I did ugrade my power cable too 4GA and you do have to run RCA cables

Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 AM
1st Gear

when i got my speakers and whole system replaced it went something like this:

1. Bose runs 2ohm amp to its 2 ohm speakers. If you even replace the head unit it will be pushing too much power to the amp and will cause the speakers to whine. (this is true, as they originally screwed up my wiring when they installed my head unit and it did indeed whine).

2. If you replace the speakers, you have to disconnect the bose amp because the amp itself only pushes for a 2 ohm load and any aftermarket speakers are meant for 4ohm loads.

3. My 97 bose system had 6 speakers. 1&2: Components in front 3&4: Door speakers in the rear 5&6: 6" Woofers in the rear dash. If you replace speakers, you kind of have to replace the 6" woofers because they are running off of the bose amp and won't run right with the new head unit.

4. The rear panel speakers are really small and probably not worth replacing with after market speakers anyway.

6. If you replace the 6" woofers you will lose a lot of the bass that bose system will give you, but will get nicer sound from a nice set of 6.5" 3 way speakers.

7. When you lose those 6" woofers, you will need to replace the bass with subs of some kind necessitating another amp and subs.

All in all, if i could go back, i would keep my bose system that i had originally, it sounds good and is way cheaper and less of a hassle to replace, only to have a system that doesn't sound thaaaat much better (for the $1500 or so you're looking at to do it right).

And yes, it does require new wiring.

Last thought, please do not get your new stuff done at Al & Eds.

Hope this helped a bit. My system now sounds great, but seriously, just stick with the bose system if you don't want to go all out. (i was without my 2 12's after i pulled the bose system for about 2 months and i was dissapointed every day that it didn't sound as full sounding as my bose system. But once i completed my system, it was well worth it).

'chris

Old 09-23-2004, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

rear speakers are 4", but can be replaced with 6.5s...so dooowit. Also, you will have to build some sort of setting for the aftermarket speakers to go in. The audi speakers (not sure of which ones, maybe not bose) only have 3 mounting holes where most aftermarket have 4...so keep that in mind
Hope that helps
D

Old 09-24-2004, 03:03 AM
1st Gear
Default I'd keep it if I could... but

I like the bose system too, and I bet it rocked when this car first rolled off the line. But now the driver's door speakers have no output at all (they've been that way since I bought it 2 months ago), and the passenger door speaker is buzzing (which popped up about 2 weeks ago).

I've been thinking about replacing the amp with another bose from a similiar Audi, and that might take care of the channels missing, but it won't do anything about the distorted speaker, which I have to replace... and where the hell am I going to find another two-ohm speaker. So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Get aftermarket head unit, amp, and speakers. This way I can put the new amp where the bose amp used to be and use the existing wiring, right? (someone please correct me now if I'm wrong, cuz this is going to go down soon).

2. Get a powered sub like an Infinity Basslink or Bazooka bass tube for bass duty.

or - I heard somewhere Boston Acoustics makes aftermarket 2ohm speakers - If I could I'd just use these and replace the bose amp... damn I get a headache just trying to figure it out. Now I see why people will drop a load at an install shop to let them worry about it.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: I'd keep it if I could... but

yeah you could use the existing wiring but you would have to get RCA cables to connect your HU to the amp... and a remote wire of course from the HU to the amp to shut it off when not in use

but if your thinkin about adding a subwoofer er two down the line I would upgrade you power cable to at least 8GA

Old 09-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Site Moderator

Adapters are not hard to make...

I put 5 1/4" where the 4" used to be in the front

Old 09-24-2004, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear

hey Bryan what did you do for the rear doors?

Old 09-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Site Moderator

Didn't use the rear doors in my sedan. Just the fronts and the rear deck speakers + sub in trunk.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Bryan, you wouldn't have better pictures of that door, by any chance? and I just sold some 5.25" mids.. man.. I knew I should spent a little bit more time on the doors...

BTW, Thanks again for the corner light assy.

Quick Reply: what are the speaker sizes in a 98 a4?