Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacers?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Wheel Spacers?!?!

Wheel spacers aren't essential but they make up for filling that ridiculous gap in the fender well. You sound like you've got alignment problems after lowering. If you've got wheel spacers that may be it, but most cars have the same off camber problem after its been lowered, are the front tires the same way?. Go to a reputable alignment shop and get a camber kit. And I wouldn't be rolling on those terribly worn tires, get rid of them.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear

^^^Camber is way off.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

Wheel spacers aren't essential but they make up for filling that ridiculous gap in the fender well. You sound like you've got alignment problems after lowering. If you've got wheel spacers that may be it, but most cars have the same off camber problem after its been lowered, are the front tires the same way?. Go to a reputable alignment shop and get a camber kit. And I wouldn't be rolling on those terribly worn tires, get rid of them.
yeah I replaced the tires, I need to chage a bearing then I will get it alligned. The front tires dont seem to be doing the same thing, normal usage it seems.

Also when I drive it seems that the back of the car wants to pass in front .... Very dangerous should it be due to the alignment also ?

Someone told me that the back differential might be the cause.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 AM
4th Gear

Hmmm...if it was just while braking I'd say braking ratio is off, or no rear ABS but sounds more obvious than that...I can't see why the diff would be involved, but you never know. Mostly likely its just cause of bad alignment, see if theres a change after its done.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM

This is my first post, so don't kill me for being a noob. I just purchased an '07 A4 yesterday. I wanted to get some wheel spacers ( to widen the stance).
If i just get some spacers (10mm) and don't lower the vehicle or make any other changes, will there be any negative implications in the long run?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 PM

for all you b5ers, from what i have read I would insist on not spacing any more than maybe 10mm at most...and not for no reason whatsoever, only if there is a clearence issue...if you want to fill the "gap", where the fender sits out and makes your wheels look too skinny/not sitting wide enough, do not just put in spacers....but a larger set of wheels...I run a set of 18x8.5" with an offset of 35 and they are FLUSH with the lip of the fender, they look and feel amazing....I would suggest never adding spacers unless there is a clearence issue with no way around it (mainly for suspension)....many wheel spacer problems come from buying wheels with improper offsets and then having to space out the difference, there are many cars that take to spacers happily w no problems for years, but in all cases as far as our cars go, anything bigger than 5mm will add stress to the point of slowly wearing your suspension components down to the point of failure....hopefully something in there will help somebody...and please correct me if there is something in there you do not agree with....

gl!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Delete
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. The only problem is that now I have two conflicting answers. I am simply trying to reduce the gap ( mostly in the rear), so it looks more flush with the body.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: fahquad

As someone who's been running spacers for almost 3 years, with decent track use as well, because I have to run spacers in order to clear brakes.... Anyhoo, can someone explain how in "being bad for suspension", putting spacers on is any different than wider wheels, or wheels with wider offset from the get go?
Funny thing is, across the B6 to B7 world, the suspensions for the most part are roughly the same.... and the difference in stock wheels offsets varies from et45 to et28.
If I'm running spacers to get me to et34..... how in the world is that any different than running wheels that are already et34?
I just don't buy the "spacers wear suspension" theory. Well, I guess it makes sense, but no more than running wider wheels. Which Audi does on some OE cars out of the factory.
[align=left] [/align]
two things, you bought the car new, what is said was that spacers will add stress to the point of slowly wearing your suspension components down to the point of failure. obviously, if you have 100k on your car and then you put spacers on it, your suspension components will already have that much wear to begin with....but, when you start with a brand new suspension, you must start "wearing" from the geginning....

the question I have is, what size spacers do you run? 10-15mm? (I never said that the second you put a large spacer in that you suspension fails, I said that they add stress to the point of slowly wearing down your suspension components)

I would say that if you want to fill your gap, go with a wide wheel like 8 or 8.5"

gl!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM

Delete
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers?!?!