Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Windshield Washer Fluid?

my wife and i picked up our first audi last night, a black 2000 A4 sport tiptronic. we love it. every time i get in the car (which has only been about 10 times in the last 24 hours), i'm so thankful that i went with the Audi over our other option, a subaru outback.

anyway, the ABS control module needed repairing on the car, so I went ahead and removed it this afternoon in order to send it off and get it repaired. While I was moving the windshield washer fluid reservoir out of the way, i ended up popping out the upper fluid pump, which resulted in a significant loss of washer fluid, which i now need to refill.

so, i just wanted to know what type of windshield washer fluid i need. should i go to the audi dealer for this, or does any old washer fluid work (i'm assuming the first option, but figured i'd ask just to make sure). i don't want to put some sh*t fluid in there if it's going to mess anything up.

anyway, we love our car. audis are incredible vehicles!

Old 11-12-2005, 11:03 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Windshield Washer Fluid?

wait!! i might be able to save you some money on that abs control module. i recently found a good module for 125 bucks. my car may need it, but it may not. i'll find out as soon as i get the module in the mail, probably monday. anyway, if i turns out my control module is ok, you can have this one i just bought. i think rebuilding costs about twice that much. pm me if you're interested.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Administrator

im pretty sure ordinary fluid isnt capable of messing anything up.. and its probably the same stuff the dealer would sell you. after all its just windshield cleaner.. dont think the fluid needs to be imported or exotic.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:31 PM
5th Gear

sorry, i didn't even finish reading your post after i saw the abs module part....yea, any regular washer fluid will work. just make sure you get the ratio right before putting it in (some bottles come premixed, some need to be mixed 50/50 with water)

Old 11-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Administrator

and IIRC those reservoirs on take a lot before they are full

Old 11-12-2005, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

yeah that reservoir was huge! so, no fancy washer fluid. that's cool. just figured i'd ask because it seems that everything else if different from driving & maintiaining a jeep (gas, oil, oil filter, coolant?).

about the ABS modules, i think they have specific part numbers. also, the $250 repair that needs to be done fixes some circuitry in the power supply. so, that's to say that nearly all units will encounter this flaw. regardless, my part number is 0 273 004 284 if you [bentframe] have the same unit number and won't need your old unit (although i'm eager to mail this thing out monday for a quick turnaround).

Old 11-13-2005, 12:00 AM
5th Gear

i'm not sure what number you've got there, but it doesn't look like an audi part number..maybe a serial #?

the part number of the unit i bought is '4D0 907 379 J'

Old 11-13-2005, 12:02 AM

The prestone 2 dollar stuck is alot better, but i have used the 99 cent stuff w/o any problems.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

it's the number on the underside of the ABS control module, printed on the Bosch sticker: http://www.modulemaster.com/audiabsbsrepair.html

Old 11-13-2005, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

I simply top up my washer fluid reservoir (and my battery, for that matter) with distilled water. I occasionally add a small amount of windscreen washer concentrate.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Fluid?