Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Bang & Olufsen Audio Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Bang & Olufsen Audio Issues?

So, I encountered a really weird audio issue with my A5 2.0t. I can't think that this is a A5 specific, but I tried searching and couldn't find any other examples of issues on this forum so I'm posting here about it.

My setup: 2011 Audi A5 w/ Bang and Olufsen

I just finished getting groceries yesterday after work. The moment I started my car, I got insanely loud bass/static/vibrations/rattling coming from the rear speakers only. No audio was coming out of the front speakers or even back seat speakers. The crazy thing was that my audio settings were normal. My music volume was set at 4 clicks from mute (low volume) and all settings were balanced (front v rear, right v left, bass = middle, treble = middle). I instantly had to mute it to stop the noise. I tried turning the volume up one click, but the noise persisted and still no audio anywhere else in the car. I played around with the volume ****. It didn't matter how high or low the volume, the rear speakers seemed to be stuck in this screamingly loud position and I was getting zero audio anywhere else. I was tuned into a radio station and thought maybe it was a weird signal/station thing. I tuned to other stations, switched to a CD, switched to iPod, but got all the same thing. So, obviously it is a speaker thing. I had to drive home with audio on mute, because once you turn off mute (even the lowest volume setting) the noise is extreme.

I got home and turned the car off. I took my groceries in my house and gave it about 30 minutes before I went back to the car. Turned it on and same problem. I can't listen to anything.

I go out this afternoon to meet up with some friends and experience the same problem upon leaving and returning. I go to leave and meet up with friends right now and my system seems to be back to normal...except I'm fairly certain I have zero sound coming from my rear speakers now.

Anybody else experience this issue? I'm going to schedule an appointment first thing Monday morning with Audi to have them check it out.

-Ryan

Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

That happened recently to me too. Next day everything seemed back to normal - so I let it go. What did the dealer say - or fix?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

The dealer pulled the codes, but couldn't find anything wrong with it. They thought that "it sounded normal" and that nothing was functioning improperly. So, there was nothing they could do to fix the issue.

They told me that they had not heard of any similar issues with other customers.

I kind of felt like an idiot taking it in when it was functioning normal, but the issue was insanely bad when it occurred. They recommended that if it happened to me again to bring it by the Audi dealership when it was happening so they could experience it, as it was a really difficult experience to describe and they couldn't identify any problems.

Thankfully, I haven't experienced it again since that first episode.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy

I have a Bang & Olufsen unit with MMI in my 2009 A5 3.2L S-line, and after a week of popping noises in the right channel, I now have total failure of the sound. I can't even access the sound menu w/ the MMI. I can't use Bluetooth; the Navigation voice is mute.

I work where no close Audi dealer is readily available. I already paid for that crappy Sirius service(XM is sooo much better!), so I'm losing on that. When I start the car it resets itself to the AM band. I don't even listen to AM radio! Unless there is a baseball game that I can dial in; Sirius was not made for a summer sports fan as they don't have baseball. I will watch football on TV.

I will be complaining bitterly to the next Audi dealer I will see. The only good thing is that the car is still under warranty.

I hope others will join in on this thread. I want a new audio unit, one that accepts XM.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

Ryan,
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was driving my A5 2.0t home (Las Vegas to CO). On the second day of owning/driving the car, the sound worked great for four hours. I stopped for gas and to switch drivers. When I started the car again I got that, "insanely loud bass/static/vibrations/rattling" coming from the driver's side rear speaker. The phone and nav still functioned properly. The last four hours of the drive we had no music. I parked the car when I got home thinking I would just take it in to a dealer the next day. However, after I read your first post, I went out to the car tried the MMI again. It was back to normal.
It has been working perfectly for a week now. I'm a little bummed though because my last Audi, which was a TT, has little "hic-cups" every now and then. Every time I took it in, it was working properly and the dealer couldn't reenact the problem. Hence, it never got fixed.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Consider yourself lucky; my unit is mute since 5/17/11. As noted I can't select audio settings on MMI, but everything else works. Still no Navigation voice and Bluetooth pairs w/ my cellphone, but I can't use it. Because there ain't no audio!

Are there any other units out there, doing this same thing??

Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

It happened to me too!! but just one speaker(passenger door) had gone bad! the issue was totally intermittent. the dealer got the speaker replaced without much ado. all seems fine now!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Just happened to me...

Same thing. Was fine... Parked the car and went back in 2 hours and there is a loud screetch.

Did anyone find anything from their Audi dealer?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Buzzing sound

Same thing happened to me....took my 2011 A5 Cab for first long drive and stopped for fuel after 3 hours. Got back in and only loud static out of the subwoofer, which is located in driver rear seat under arm rest. Next day, returned to normal and have had no problems since (14 days now). Spoke to Audi dealer and they said cant do anything unless i bring while experiencing the problem. I guess we are all test subjects who have to pay Audi to find problems and bring them to them.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

I just had my 2009 A5 S-Line looked at by Audi and they are ordering another amplifier to replace the blown one I have. We'll see if that fixes it. They are appeasing me by giving me a Q5 2.0 turbo to drive until it is fixed.

Until tomorrow mis amigos...

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Audio Issues?