Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 AM
1st Gear

hello All,

I'm new to this site and have started looking because I'm fighting with Audi. I have an A5 2.0tfs1 which I bought 6 months old in 2010, its done 60,000 miles and is using 1ltr in 300 miles. the link below may not help UK customers at the moment but would help people in the US. its a lawsuit which Audi have just lost.

Best of luck all

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...n-lawsuit.shtm

Old 11-23-2014, 04:15 AM
1st Gear
Old 12-12-2014, 05:25 AM
1st Gear

Well it's finally back after 6 weeks and one aborted attempt. I did get it back on Monday but the turbo pipe blew off and the car had to be recovered back to the garage.

Overall the bill came to just under £8k as they had to replace gearbox parts for £3k for an unrelated issue. Thankfully all covered by Audi as I'd only just bought it - time will tell if it's cured the problem

Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 AM
1st Gear

Well 500 miles completed since I got the car back and no movement on the oil level yet so early signs are good - previously I would have had to already put in 1 litre!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Oil Consumption Settlement > mainpage > Home
AOA rep just send me this info via email and they told me my vin is covered and later retracted. now i am stuck with 2010 a4 that burns 1 quart of oil every 300 miles and. although Audi admit they made a bad batch of piston rings in the engine code CAEB 2.0 tfsi they would not fix their problem if your car is over 80k.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

Hi. I previously had the 2.0T A5 132 kw and it had what appeared to me to be unacceptable consumption, but fell within the guidelines. That was what led me to this forum. So when warranty was about to expire I updated to the 2014 A5 2.0T 165 kw. I think that engine upgrade probably solves the oil consumption issue based on my experience. Have had no issues so far.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default 2011 A5 oil consumption

It is not normal for any car to consume this much oil. I am having the same issue with my 2011 Audi A5. There is actually a class action lawsuit pending . My dealership is aware of the problem and replace the crankshaft seal, oil pressure gauge, and screw. That didn't help so they are doing an oil consumption test. They drain oil, add a specific amount and tell you to come back within 600-1000 and they will drain and measure oil consumption. If it fails they will replace piston rings and seals and if that doesn't do the trick they will recommend other fixes. They have extended all A5 2011 warranties to 80000 miles. Also make sure they replace your ignition coils as there was a recall on those. Audi seems quite good at keeping all of this a secret until many many people complain and take legal action.
Originally Posted by Gurnade
Good day Peeps,

I purchased a new 2011 A5 2.0t about 7 months ago. My odometer currently stands at 4600 miles and my oil level is at zero.

Now, I've noticed that the MMI is inconsistent when it comes to oil level reports, as it bounced around for a few months. However, despite the bouncing around, the oil level has been consistently decreasing during this time.

I first noticed the zero oil level last night. However, I have not had any indicator lights come up on the dash. I checked again this morning (after letting the engine warm up) and the oil level still shows zero. Again, no indicator lights. I'm afraid to drive it like this, so I'll obviously run out and grab some oil as an interim solution.

However, my bigger concern is the excessive oil consumption. 5 quarts in 4600 miles translates to approximately 1 quart per every 900 miles. The manual states that high consumption levels can reach 0.5 quarts per every 600 miles. I know that oil consumption tends to be slightly higher during the initial break-in. I'm pretty meticulous about my cars, so I made sure it was broken-in properly and I monitor this stuff regularly. At 3000 miles, my oil usage was about half. So, it seems as if my A5 is consuming more oil now than it was previously. The car is garaged on a flat service in the same spot every night and also in a reserved spot at my work. I have zero oil spots in either garage, so it doesn't seem to be leaking.

So, my question is this: For all you guys with the 2.0 TFSI, what has your oil consumption been like? Did you notice excessive oil consumption during break-in? Do you guys see this level of consumption as normal?

I'm due for the 5000 mile maintenance and I'll have Audi check it out then, but just trying to gather information before I take it in. I'm also not trying to overreact to the oil consumption issue, but I've had other small nuances (misfire codes left and right) with this car since I got it and all of the nuances are starting to raise my annoyance level.

Ryan

Old 04-12-2015, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Does this issue only affect 2011 model years and older? So 2012 and newer already have the new piston rings in place? I am also wondering what does this do to the compression ratio since they are changing the piston rings...

Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

Hi everyone,

A month ago, my piston rings were changed by my Audi dealer to solve the long debated oil consumption problem (2011 A5 2.0T 55k miles).

Soon after the "operation", I came back to the dealer to complain about a noise in the engine compartment at slow speed. The mechanician said that all was fine, no noise to worry about.

3 weeks later, I go back to complain as the shaking noise got louder: the dealer now wants me to pay $1500 to change damaged engine mounts. The car was extensively tested prior to the engine tear down, and nothing was wrong with the engine mounts.

-Anyone had the same issue?
-Are engine mounts considered as wearing parts, or they should be covered by the 8 years/80k warranty extension?

Thanks for any advise!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Hi after, have the piston fix, touch wood all seems well and it is 10 months on and no oil has been added. After watching Watchdog on Thursday night I am again chasing Audi for the £2000 it cost to put it right. Would be interested to know if anyone has got anywhere since the show went out? will let you know if i actually get anywhere

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?