Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Hi all, good news Audi uk have rang me and are refunding me the whole £1908 i had to pay to get the oil problem sorted. Happy days

Old 07-23-2015, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Received Oil Consumption Fix but I need a new pressure valve?

Good news is that Audi completed the 2 part test and put in the new piston rings and seal! Paid for completely by Audi (32 man hrs/$4800). No more issues with adding more oil!

Bad news - engine light just came on and i stopped by dealer to run their test. Was told i need a new pressure valve (est. $330 for the part.)

After reading thru this very helpful forum, it would seem to me that the work they just completed would be connected to this new issue.? Plus I only have 60k miles on my 2011 A5 and warranty was extended to 80k. And with all the testing they did prior to the new pistons, why would this come up after and not be related in some way.

I am waiting for an answer from my dealer for an explanation. But maybe the computer needs to be reset or their is addt issues after the rebuild?

Thoughts, ideas?
Thank you, Kimberly (WI)

Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Excessive Oil Consumption

Hi,
I have been off line for a while..well now I have 94000Km on my 2010 Audi A4 and the oil consumption just suddenly got very very bad. Every time I gased up I had to add just under 1 litre oil. Back to the dealer because it is covered my the 8 yr oil consumption guarantee and they did a test just before xmas and it comsumes 1.9 litres per 1000kms. They ordered the parts and just got the car back today where they overhauled the motor. They also changed the water pump at my expense seeing that the motor was being redone and also the timing chain.
I will keep a very close eye on the MMI oil guage, a keep all posted in a month or so.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Hello All, I recently purchased my first audi from DSR Leasing. They offer me good deals on my audi. If anyone wants to purchase audi on leasing then I think you must check out DSR Leasing https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...g_orderby=DESC & I’m sure that you’ll get an amazing deals here.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Excessive oil consumption with 2010 A4 B8 TFSI

Hi guys I am new to this.

I recently purchased a used 2010 A4 with 96 thousand on the odd and in the 3 weeks that I had it. The car consumed a litre of oil every week which I know is not right. Audi said it should be using 1 litre per 1000 kilometres but I wish I could say that was the only problem with it.

Last edited by Huawei9258; 09-25-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Trouble

Originally Posted by Huawei9258
Hi guys I am new to this.

I recently purchased a used 2010 A4 with 96 thousand on the odd and in the 3 weeks that I had it. The car consumed a litre of oil every week which I know is not right. Audi said it should be using 1 litre per 1000 kilometres but I wish I could say that was the only problem with it.
Hello. I am afraid you have a major issue. At about 90,000 k , my Audi A4 started to gobble up oil like crazy. A litre would not last even 1000 km.
After many back and forths with the Audi dealer and Audi Canada, they eventually admitted to a manufacturing error on the pistons. They rebuilt the engine at a cost of about $8,000 Cdn. But they did not admit to the problem easily as I had the car in and out for checking at my expense several times before they finally gave in.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

Yes I am aware that the engine needs to be rebuilt due to the pistons which it is getting done and Audi would not help me in any way even as a goodwill. but I am happy to say after this I will be buying a Toyota Corolla so I don't have to deal with Audi ever again and all of its problems.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gurnade
Good day Peeps,

I purchased a new 2011 A5 2.0t about 7 months ago. My odometer currently stands at 4600 miles and my oil level is at zero.

Now, I've noticed that the MMI is inconsistent when it comes to oil level reports, as it bounced around for a few months. However, despite the bouncing around, the oil level has been consistently decreasing during this time.

I first noticed the zero oil level last night. However, I have not had any indicator lights come up on the dash. I checked again this morning (after letting the engine warm up) and the oil level still shows zero. Again, no indicator lights. I'm afraid to drive it like this, so I'll obviously run out and grab some oil as an interim solution.

However, my bigger concern is the excessive oil consumption. 5 quarts in 4600 miles translates to approximately 1 quart per every 900 miles. The manual states that high consumption levels can reach 0.5 quarts per every 600 miles. I know that oil consumption tends to be slightly higher during the initial break-in. I'm pretty meticulous about my cars, so I made sure it was broken-in properly and I monitor this stuff regularly. At 3000 miles, my oil usage was about half. So, it seems as if my A5 is consuming more oil now than it was previously. The car is garaged on a flat service in the same spot every night and also in a reserved spot at my work. I have zero oil spots in either garage, so it doesn't seem to be leaking.

So, my question is this: For all you guys with the 2.0 TFSI, what has your oil consumption been like? Did you notice excessive oil consumption during break-in? Do you guys see this level of consumption as normal?

I'm due for the 5000 mile maintenance and I'll have Audi check it out then, but just trying to gather information before I take it in. I'm also not trying to overreact to the oil consumption issue, but I've had other small nuances (misfire codes left and right) with this car since I got it and all of the nuances are starting to raise my annoyance level.

Ryan
yea I got a 2011 a5 too 2.0t and it had 96k on it I drove it about 3k miles before a low oil pressure light came up. That’s when I realized there’s no dipstick. I took it to the dealership and they basically told me I was crazy and that the car was fine they just topped off the oil. Note that my cars bumper was basically black from all the oil being burned but again they told me I was crazy. A week later the car throws a piston and I basically had to take the dealership to court so that they would replace the engine and anything else that was damaged for free.
my oil consumption was somewhere around like 2 quarts for every tank basically