Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MikeinNJ
So is this issue affecting virtually ALL 2.0TSFI or is this more of a select group?
Well from what I have read it can affect all models and years. Also how the vehicle was broken in, driven, maintained etc. My A4 so far has had no excessive oil burning problems currently @ 60tmls. I purchased it new in '07 and have had all my services done at Audi. I also drive it on the German autobahns at anywhere from 70-130mph (governed speed) and I use about 1 to 1 1/2 ltr's of oil between oil changes (9-10tmls as manual states).

I read awhile ago that carbon build up on valves/pistons etc can cause this due to lower speed driving (always under 3000rpms). Not sure if that is the case though. Some other places state there was a problem with certain piston/rings that were not to spec. I have asked the German Audi mechanics here and they said they do not see a lot of excess oil usage in the TFSI engines (1.4, 1.8,& 2.0). Most TFSI's they did see with higher than avg oil usage were high milage models, usually older leased cars (A3-A6's).

Main thing is to check the maintenance records and get a used car guarantee just to cover you!

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

MikeinNJ,

I've tried to read all of the posts on this subject on this forum and others and it appears that the excessive oil consumption problem is a much bigger risk with a 2009 or 2010 car. I am not stating any of this to any degree of scientific certainty. But, knowing about the "oil consumption problems" reported on this forum, I still bought a new 2012 A4q in June of last year. It goes into the dealer for the 5k mile service on Friday. And, I am also looking for a nice, clean used A5 coupe.

I have checked the oil level in the 2012 A4q regularly using the owner's manual prescribed MMI method and found no appreciable diminished level. Less than 1/4 of a quart of oil was added at about 3,800 miles and only because my wife stopped at the dealer to have the navigation system explained to her again and the service advisor checked the oil level and topped it up.

It also seems that there are or were two separate and distinct "problems". One was a batch of engines assembled with "substandard" pistons and rings. Apparently Audi has rebuilt a whole bunch of those engines. The other problem seemed to result from a pressure relief valve, which has been revised. It seems that the "new" pressure relief valve has "cured" the problem - or so we think now.

Personally, I think it is unrealistic to be disappointed if these relatively powerful, small displacement engines use some oil in 3k to 5k miles. That's just my opinion. Heck, if I recall correctly, the owner's manual in my BMW 325i says "normal" oil consumption is a quart every 800 miles to 1200 miles. I do have to add a quart every 1k miles or so.

Check out the service history of any car you are considering. See whether there is a history of complaints. Try to ask the original owner or lessee whether they had to add oil or whether they even checked whether the oil level was down.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2011 A5 with the 2.0TFSI engine and it uses between 400-450ml per 1000km. There is no recourse. My car has 80,000km on it and appears to run fine, less the oil consumption. So as a dissatisfied Audi owner, I just dump in about 6 ltrs between dealer services and move on...... They got the money and unless a material defect is proven the loss is mine. At some time should a defect show up they would of course consider some form of assistance.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

My A4 TFSI is going in to have the piston and rings replaced in 2 weeks.

Its been blowing so much oil on my rear bumper, is the turbo oil cooled? I got a feeling its the turbo seal problem, but Audi method of determine the problem is too statistical based.

worst car I've ever owned!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2011 A4 and I was wondering the same thing about the engine burning oil... I was told when I had my K04 turbo installed that I should expect oil burn off due to the turbo charger, even more now due to the upgrade.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2011 Q5 with the 2.0 engine also. At 50, 500 miles (after warranty) my check oil level light came on and I was a qt low. Added it and was pissed that burnt this in 5,000 after service.
When I took it to the service center, like many of you they told me it just does that. I'm amazed the EPA hasn't done something about that.
I broke it in right, kept under 60 for the first 2.500 miles and drive about 50% highway (70-80mph) and 50% in town and have always had dealer service.
If they fixed it, mine doesn't have it I guess.
I will be forwarding some of the comments to the dealer by Monday morning.
Does anyone have the UPDATE CAMPAIGN NUMBER I can refer them to about the PRV valve, seal and sofware update?
Thanks.
BTW I had a 08 TT Roadster before this and NEVER burned oil.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

A quart in 5,000 miles is not that bad in ANY engine made by any manufacturer. All engines burn some oil, they have to. A small amount of oil has to go past the rings and valve seals to lubricate the cylinder walls and valve guides.

That said,,,,,I've done the TSB on about 7 or 8 of them now and so far, they're all doing good. A couple were using a quart in less than 500 miles and now at close to 1,000 miles they are both still close to full.
The TSB is 2027731/3 and it says "Upon customer complaint" replace the crankcase pressure regulating vlave (PCV), front crankshaft seal (unsure why on the seal) and do an ECM reflash to update the engine to the 2012 specs to reduce crankcase pressure. Then they will do an electronic oil level measurement using the scan tool and store the information (i.e. oil level 81.21 mm) and have you drive a minimum of 630 miles. Then, another electronic measurement will be done and the two numbers compared. IF the consumption is excessive, then a TAC (technical assistance case) will be opened and the tech line will instruct what to do next. I think it's replace the pistons and rings from what I've heard. The TSB's in the wrong spot in ElsaWeb and hard to find. I ran across it by accident one day. They will have to click on "Technical Service Bullitens", then "Fuel Supply", "Noises and Vibrations" and finally "Fuel Tank" to find the TSB listed. I've sent a notice in and Audi is aware of it and will be moving it to where it should be soon.
As I said, so far so good on the one's I've done. Hope this helps and please don't forget, us Audi tech's and the dealership have to follow Audi's rules and instructions and follow the procedures exactly or warranty claims WILL be charged back to the dealer What I mean is, a lot of times there's things we'd like to do that would help but can't. Know what I mean?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks!
I love my Q5 but this is an unexpected situation.
My TT on the other hand, I loved more but it was a mechanics dream come true with all the problems it had. The "Wizard" out of Atlanta finally had to come and work on it after I traded it to get it going again.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

For all turbos!!!!!! Oil is consumed because it is used to lubricate the turbo system. A lot of oil is sent through the turbo and into the air intake (pressure) line and is burned in the motor so Audi is not b sing about oil consumption. My 2002A4 takes a half quart min every 1000 miles or so and seems to be normal from everyone and everything I have learned about this.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

No need to be naive about the oil loss, surely this should be contradicting certain emission rules due to the heavy loss of oil. My last car (evo 9) had a water cooled turbo, worked perfect, no major loss of water/oil at every 5k service.

So I had the stage 2 done on my A4 TFSI, replaced pistons and rings, its running heaps better but the only problem is, for how long.

Anyone know if there is a stage 3 if it still goes south?

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?