Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

Hi
Last week I tipped 300ml into the engine. It was the first time since I had it serviced back in Nov 2012. Not bad as that is 2500km. That was after a mildly spirited drive some weeks previous. This weekend I decided I should drive the car harder than normal. Before I did the MMI said the oil was 100% full. After my blat, which was three or four hard revs through the gears up to the speed limit, nothing too radical - yes i did see 6000rpm - and after a nice steady drive today MMI dropped 2 whole bars. So drive it hard today and tomorrow see the effects in a sudden drop in the oil level. I would expect some usage, but that much? Now tell me if this is normal? Do others see this behaviour? Does it guzzle oil when driven with gusto?
By the way the car never does short trips. All trips are 20km at least. Just dont drive it every day.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I noticed that with my car too prior to complete disaster, I suggest you do an oil consumption test, during the test don't drive as you normally would, drive it with gusto as you said and fail the test to show all the problems. So they would rebuild your engine within the warranty.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

Oh dear. That sounds rather grim. Thanks for the warning. By complete disaster I imagine a total melt down? Were there any other symptons? Other than the oil usage the motor appears quite normal.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Hi
As you may recall my engine was supplied with new pistons etc at the end of December 2012. Since then oil consumption has dropped from approx 1 litre per 870 miles to just showing some usage i.e. under 1/2 litre at worst after 2,600 miles!
I was lucky to get the engine to fail the consumption test because I drove the car hard for the 600 mile test duration and it used considerably less! My style of driving is fairly slow for 95% of the time interspersed with driving fairly rapidly with the possible result that the engine does not get warmed up to its proper operating temperature.
Anyway as a rider to the above 6000 rpm doesn't seem like a lot. My 2 litre will do 80mph in second and approx 120 mph in third gear. It's difficult to over rev the engines because they cut out around 71/2 to 8000 rmp.
Anyway you have my best wishes - there is definitely a fault with these engines which seems to be remedied very successfully by fitting new pistons and non flexible rings.
Regards
TheMac

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

I respectfully request that everyone who posts to this thread include the year of your car, the mileage when you first noticed "excessive" oil consumption and whether you are the original owner.

As Audi has made some changes along the way, I think it is important to know which cars (meaning model year) are suffering the "excessive" consumption. It may be all 2 liter cars. But, it appears to me that most of the complaints are about earlier B8 (A4 and A5) 2 liter cars.

I admit to my interest in this issue. I bought a 2012 A4q last June and am looking for a nice, low mileage 2011 or 2012 A5.

Thank you.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

My car is an A5 2 litre TFSI 2010 purchased new. It used oil from day 1 - details should be on this thread.
Get it fixed under warranty if you can because in my experience the oil consumption will just get worse!
TheMac

Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Good idea Richard C2S.
My A5 is 2010 July build with a 132kw 2.0T. I am the sole owner. I broke it in as per the book with no racy driving early in the piece. The car is always driven with respect when cold. I have treated it the same as every car I have ever owned from new; and there have been a number of them. My previous Audi was an A4 1.8. It had zip oil issues and was driven as this A5, which I like by the way.
I noticed oil consumption early in its life. It was never massive though. By my calculations it was well within spec. It was noted at first and second service. At the first service the "fix" was applied, with perhaps marginal success.
I keep records of what goes on with it every sunday noting mileage oil level.
I really wish it had a real dipstick, and I believe you can buy one. I hate this electronic system with a passion.
My Audi dealer is very good.
The last service I had was in Nov 12 and all the way through until Feb the level was at max. Then i drove it harder than normal. Oil started being used. Then I drove it harder still and usage increased even more.
It is booked for an oil consumption test early april. So we will see what that transpires.
Thanks to theMac for his comments. Appreciated.
I should point out that my A5 has no other issues at all.
Thanks

Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

My Car is a 2011 A5 2.0 TFSI and used 1 quart per 5000 miles when new, now uses 1 quart in about 1450 miles under regular driving conditions.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

USA,

Has your car been modded in any way? Also, does your car have the "new" pressure relief valve?

I don't know when Audi began to fit the new valve during production. One of the techs with whom I spoke seemed to indicate that even some early 2012s came through with the "old" valve. I read that to mean that the 2011 cars probably were manufactured with the "old" valve.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

I bought an A5 convertible one month ago, with the 2.0 TFSI engine. It's a 2010 model, now 3 years old, 33,000 miles. It had just been serviced about a month before I got it. After just one week of having it, the oil light came on. Checked the oil level, it was minimum. Put in 500mls of oil. Only 300 miles later, the oil light is on again, level is on minimum again. No signs at all of any leaks from the car. Decided to check this forum for some answers, as I'm really worried something is seriously wrong with this car. I don't know what to do - I bought it from an independent Audi dealer near London with 12 months "warranty" which now looks pretty worthless after reading the small print (only covers a claim of up to £1000!). I've only had it for a month. Any advice for this situation please? Can I take it back to the dealer and expect them to do something about it? If this is an accepted manufacturing fault, will Audi cover the cost of fixing it? I've read every post on here about the "fixes" but these all seem to have been done under audi warranty? I feel absolutely sick that I've spent so much money on this car only to find it has a serious fault that potentially neither manufacturer or dealer will accept responsibility for. Any advice or shared experience is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?