Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Level Monitoring...

So, I finally started to document my oil levels so that I can manually calculate the rate at which my car is burning oil.

Last oil change: 1 month/800 miles ago at an Audi Dealership

My oil level displayed 'full' from my last oil change up until approx 150 miles ago...when the level dropped approximately 1/8 on my oil level scale. At that point, I decided to monitor the oil levels and mileage.

Here is my progression so far. I've taken images of my oil level display for five nights in a row (101 miles driven over a 97 hour period). My oil level has dropped 28% in 4 full days, as displayed in the chart below (actual images of the MMI). I will continue to monitor my oil level and mileage over the coming days, but I thought I'd share this with the group as others have experienced high rates of oil consumption on the 2.0 TFSI as well.

Quick question: Is anybody experiencing drops in oil levels this fast (in terms of either mileage or days)?

-Ryan

EDIT: The image isn't loading for some reason. To see the oil level chart, go to http://img193.imageshack.us/i/consumption20tfsi.png

Last edited by Gurnade; 04-19-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: No image
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

I should also mention that I'm approaching this trial/testing as a scientist would approach an empirical study. Therefore, I'm checking oil levels at the same time/conditions each day.

Conditions:
- Checking at the same approximate time each day (during the evening).
- Checking after the car has been sitting without prior operation for at least 6 hours.
- Checking the oil in the same location/same level surface (in my garage).
- Checking the oil upon turning on the car, but only after the car is warm (idle has dropped to the 750 RPM range).

Old 07-14-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Hi
This is my second A5 TFSI 2 litre Audi (Audi replaced the first one for another reason). The first burnt virtually no oil. In comparison this one appears to be drinking it! The oil and filter were changed only last week at 8600 miles as I like to look after the engine. The car has covered approx 180 miles since then - 7 days ago and is about 30-35% down on the MMI. This is becoming worrying and although there is no loss of power I suspect that burning large quantities of oil is unlikely to enhance the car's efficiency. My oil level is now around the same as yours on the 5th reading!
Regards
TheMac

Old 07-16-2011, 02:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Update

Hi all,
The fix involved Audi replacing the Pistons and piston rings. Ive been able to do approx. 2000kms without any warning lights coming on
Audi denied the request to replace the car and itinitally offered 'free servicing' (which I already had as a corporate client) and then offered 2years extended warranty as a 'good will' gesture.
Fingers crossed that I won't have anymore issues.
Australia didn't have any 'lemon laws' previously, however, as at January 2011, there has been new legislation brought in (for purchases after this date).

Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the update.
My car is now booked in for next Tuesday. The soot in the exhaust is such that I could write my name fairly easily in fairly large print on the wall of my garage. For a car costing £35k sterling and having less than 9000 miles on the engine this is not completely satisfactory.
Regards
TheMac

Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

I have the same probel on my 2009 A4, the dealership in Jacksonville FL stated "it has a turbo, they use oil" the dealership in Hilton Head SC stated that it is "normal"
I am an engineer and have had many cars with turbos and have never had an oil burn issue like this. Worst part is you can't check the oil as there is no dipstick!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear

TheMac - Sutt on my garage that I could write my name in too!! :/
Jimmyb - I had both those lines throwen at me by the dealer & service manager but the oil consumption test they ran proved them wrong, double the std according to their owners manual... not normal at all!! However, after the modified/upgraded pistons went in, its 'so far, so good' & praying it will continue to be. The excessive oil consumption issue is obviously a common 'abnormal' defect... perhaps Audi thinks a recall will hurt their 'reputation'!! Pppft! Due for my first service soon... Fingers crossed!!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your comments.
The car is currently under test and the oil level is still dropping rapidly - thank goodness! The only question remaining is am I entitled to a new engine. You would think that having a reconstructed one is not as satisfactory as one that never gave any trouble.
Thanks in anticipation
TheMac

Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

What I was told by a reliable source when I was going after a replacement car from Audi, rather than a fix since there were so many issues, was that most of the new cars have the excessive oil consumption issue & that I would more than likely be better off with my original car once the modified pistons had been installed. I was expecting the replacement of the block as well but apparently wasn't necessary. The two year extended warrenty helps a little I guess as I don't intend to keep it longer than 5yrs. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

GabrielleJ
Thanks for the insight. It gives me an indication of what may be offered. I don't suppose you know what form the modified pistons take i.e. is the engine rebored or are the pistons just larger than the originals. Being retired, longevity of the car and engine are both of importance to me and a new engine, if offered, may be better. The 600 miles test should culminate some time early next week, by which time there shouldn’t be much of an oil level, if any, showing on the MMI
Regards
TheMac

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption with the 2.0 TFSI?