Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Too buy or not too buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Default Too buy or not too buy?

New member here.....

So I have a deposit down on a A5 which I am expecting sometime in the next 3 months or so. I have been contacted by my dealer to go ahead and give them my options off the 2009 buy sheet. The more I have been reading and driving other cars i am starting to have buyers remorse.

My issues seem to be that for a 50k car, it is pretty slow compared to the 335i, IS350, etc which are in the same price range. In addition, the non-opening sunroof (pop open only) is a little annoying. On the other hand, everybody and their dog owns a BMW 3-series. The styling of the A5 is incredible and I have always liked to own cars that stand-out.

Current owners, how did you balance performance vs. style, or was it even an issue for you? Any regrets?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Too buy or not too buy?

A5 acceleration is a small pain in the ***, it was quite a disappointment for me the past few times I have taken it out for a ride. My brother's IS350 could easily smoke my A5. Plus, I have to admit that I find the IS350's interior more sleek than mine since IS350's technology feels a little more superior compared to mine. So yeah, I was pissed since I paid several grands more than my brother's IS350.

But regrets? Nah, no regrets really since I have not since seen another A5 on the road... yet

Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 AM

I'm in the same boat as you... However, what sold me on the car was the sleek design. I wasn't looking for a "fast" car, I was looking for something that would turn heads and a car that wasn't very popular. Everyone and there mom owns the BWM and I haven't seen too many A5's out on the road and when I do, I stare an amazement... I originally ordered the 08 model, but Audi was a bit behind on production so my dealer contacted me about it and switched it to the 09 model. I should get it delivered in September...
I read a post on the interenet somewhere a few months back and it went something like this... If you buy the BMW, everytime you see the A5 you'll be like, "damn I bought the wrong car"... and if you get the A5, everytime u see the BMW, you'll be like "I'm sure glad I got the A5"... Which will be quite often because there are so many BMW's out there. I'll be sure to post once I get my car and I don't think I'll have anything negative to say about it... The only question I have is the color I chose... My dealer sent me a few pictures of Audi's with the Avus Silver w/ Pearl effect, and I liked what I saw. It's just that pictures never really show the real beauty of the paint job. Anyone ever seen it up in person? Just hoping I got the right color is all.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jonesmi
So I have a deposit down on a A5 which I am expecting sometime in the next 3 months or so. I have been contacted by my dealer to go ahead and give them my options off the 2009 buy sheet. The more I have been reading and driving other cars i am starting to have buyers remorse.

My issues seem to be that for a 50k car, it is pretty slow compared to the 335i, IS350, etc which are in the same price range. In addition, the non-opening sunroof (pop open only) is a little annoying. On the other hand, everybody and their dog owns a BMW 3-series. The styling of the A5 is incredible and I have always liked to own cars that stand-out.

Current owners, how did you balance performance vs. style, or was it even an issue for you? Any regrets?
It all depends on what is important to you in a car. If you're into performance, and this is your only car, I think it might fall short, as it's definitely one of the most underpowered coupes in the price range. But yes, its styling is so modern that it makes the once-avantgarde E92 look like old news, and the IS350 and G37 look dull in comparison. The IS has more luxury imho, but is an absolute bore to drive (coming from someone who usually prefers sports cars), even moreso than the MB C350. I think the A5 is a good compromise for someone who wants more style and luxury over pure performance, because in that department, at the price, it can't be beat. In all of my test drives, I've always concluded that it has the look, feel, and style of a much more expensive car.

-Ray