Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 a6 2.8 quattro fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
1st Gear
Default 01 a6 2.8 quattro fuel pump replacement

I have a 2001 audi a6 2.8 quattro. The fuel pump recently went out of it and i have been doing some research on how to replace it and it looks like from what i can find you remove the back seat and you can get to the fuel pump from there. It also said that you can only have a quarter of a tank of gas in the car to be able to do this job. I of course have over a half of a tank so i was wondering if anyone has ran into this problem or any suggestions on the best plan of action on replacing this fuel pump.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

also found out that i need a special fuel pump wrench that is specific for the removal of a fuel pump out of a 1999 to 2004 audi a6 does anyone know where i can purchase this tool and how much it might be?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Are you following this DIY? (Robert Gedeon)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng95.shtml

I have this bookmarked and PDF'd waiting for my fuel pump to fail, just so I can take a crack at it, lol.

Looks like you can sub the tool using two flat-head screwdrivers.

Not sure where you go about getting the tool tho :/

Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

I reviewed that PDF and he totally skimmed over the hardest part; getting the new fuel pump assembly to seat inside the tank! Mine is up towards the top very loose, and I cannot force it all the way down. Not sure if there is a trick to it or what.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

The tool isn't necessary. Your setup is very similar to that in my A4. In my car the access door is in the trunk behind the passenger rear seat. Access is easy. Having low fuel is nice but not critical - it just means you immerse your arm less. To install/uninstall the pump, you give it a good hard twist to unlock it and then lift it out. Mine would only go in one way. It took some time to lock the new one in though - when I'd twist it, it wanted to tilt. Just keep at it and it'll go in.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 AM
1st Gear

I think that you may be needing a good how to replace a fuel pump manual or instructions in order to really make things work out in this one. In that way, you would be able to really get things done, and really make it work out. I hope that all will be well in the coming days for this remedy or solutions.

Last edited by archebald23; 04-16-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel pump

Originally Posted by harryb5a4
I have a 2001 audi a6 2.8 quattro. The fuel pump recently went out of it and i have been doing some research on how to replace it and it looks like from what i can find you remove the back seat and you can get to the fuel pump from there. It also said that you can only have a quarter of a tank of gas in the car to be able to do this job. I of course have over a half of a tank so i was wondering if anyone has ran into this problem or any suggestions on the best plan of action on replacing this fuel pump.
hello are u still needing info on your fuel punp?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by harryb5a4
also found out that i need a special fuel pump wrench that is specific for the removal of a fuel pump out of a 1999 to 2004 audi a6 does anyone know where i can purchase this tool and how much it might be?
hello , if u take a pair of pliers using the handels , open them to where they fit just inside the fuel pump , then take a wrench that fits on the side of the pliers so sa to give u a hand to turn with. Turn it counter clockwise and it will come loose

Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel pump

Originally Posted by metalman1968
hello , if u take a pair of pliers using the handels , open them to where they fit just inside the fuel pump , then take a wrench that fits on the side of the pliers so sa to give u a hand to turn with. Turn it counter clockwise and it will come loose
also when u get it out , notice that on the fuel pump their are upside down L groves " 3 '. Those will line back up to the buttens that are down in the housing.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by metalman1968
hello are u still needing info on your fuel punp?
I do. I installed a new one on my 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8 and still it's not starting. Fuse and relay are good. Any suggestions

Quick Reply: 01 a6 2.8 quattro fuel pump replacement