Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt broke! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt broke! :(

well havent started 99 a6 quattro in a couple days and its freezing outside so i decided to turn it on. put the key in and turned it and it just made this zingggg noise, thought it was the starter but my mechanic looked at it while i tried it again and said it was the timing belt. now they say you can bent your valves when breaking your belt but i wasnt driving it, does that matter? my car was not moved in days and this happend. thank god i had a kit for it already which i shouldve used months ago. does anyone know about this?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

I think most of the engines are "interference" which means the timing belt keeps the valves and piston tops from occupying the same space. If the vehicle never started you may be ok. Or the starter could have caused them to mash together and bend as the engine cranked. Not sure how you can tell other than by doing the TB now and then seeing if it runs.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

how can i keep myself aware of anything thats going to happen with mine? i mean this morning i heard like a raddle when i started it cold for like a second and it was all quiet then,, is there anything i can stay aware of ? any sounds that might be of it going?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hurricane860
well havent started 99 a6 quattro in a couple days and its freezing outside so i decided to turn it on. put the key in and turned it and it just made this zingggg noise, thought it was the starter but my mechanic looked at it while i tried it again and said it was the timing belt. now they say you can bent your valves when breaking your belt but i wasnt driving it, does that matter? my car was not moved in days and this happend. thank god i had a kit for it already which i shouldve used months ago. does anyone know about this?
It does not matter that wheels did not move; it is your engine that got messed up. When the timing belt breaks the valves remain in the same position regardless of where the pistons are, and yes it means the pistons will hit the valves and "stuff will break. Your best bet is to remove both cylinder heads and assess the damage. Also inspect the pistons but hopefully they will be OK. You are likely to find bent vave stems. Not the end of the world, but it takes work to get the cylinder heads out, and you will obviously need to replace the timing belt.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by afstud6900
how can i keep myself aware of anything thats going to happen with mine? i mean this morning i heard like a raddle when i started it cold for like a second and it was all quiet then,, is there anything i can stay aware of ? any sounds that might be of it going?
Just keep up with the maintenance and you will be (mostly) fine! The TB needs to be replaced around 80k miles. Read also the sticky with all the great info for A6 noobies; you'll learn a lot!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

"Read also the sticky with all the great info for A6 noobies; you'll learn a lot!"

/\ huh?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

"Read also the sticky with all the great info for A6 noobies; you'll learn a lot!"

/\ huh?
Here!
That is a lot of reading and a lot of links to follow, and that my friend is how you will learn about your beloved Audi!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

dam, if thats the case then im buying an engine i just seen at the junkyard. same year model and everything just got smashed on the side, they only charge 250 for the motor which i think is great. well ill be buying that tomorrow just incase voultures get there before i do. thanks guys for the quick answers

Old 11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

Cam chain tensioners... It is normal and don't worry about it, unless you are hearing the noise continuously.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hurricane860
dam, if thats the case then im buying an engine i just seen at the junkyard. same year model and everything just got smashed on the side, they only charge 250 for the motor which i think is great. well ill be buying that tomorrow just incase voultures get there before i do. thanks guys for the quick answers

Do the freeking belt before you put the motor in your vehicle or you'll be back here talking about how your timing belt broke.

Quick Reply: Timing belt broke! :(