Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 audi a6 2.8 quattro big problems please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 1996 audi a6 2.8 quattro big problems please help!!

Ok so to start off the car has 238k miles on it (many people are telling me it outlived itself) we bought the car from a police auction and it was a confenscated so we thought there wouldn't be much work needed so we replaced the radiator because of it overheating and smokeing and that solved this issue. But the headlights never worked either because the switch was busted so we went and got one from a junk yard and when we replaced it all the things that didn't work work and all the things that did work won't work (blinkers and holding the brights on dont work now) but I also hade a busted socket so I got one from the junk yard car and replaced it and it works but I still get the bulb failure message when that light blinks when turning the hazards on. And when the headlights are on the right turn signal on the dash stays on (the little green arrow) and last but not least we have done and oil change and nothing else and after putting the new socket and the new headlight switch in the car jults forward really bad when shifting gears and will not go into 5th. Sometimes when I take it from reverse to drive it will just straight die on me so I have to take it really slow when changeing gears (forgot to mention its an automatic) and the only time it will shift is 3000-4000 rpms and when it does it yanks you forward really bad. Also when I'm driving going say 40mph it will idle at 3000 instead of 1900-2100 and will not downshift until I come to a stop, even when I push the gas down and its in say 3rd gear it won't downshift and go it will just stay in 3rd and continue to try to rev higher until it gets to around 4000 and jults really bad into the next gear. Someone please help me as I do not have the money to take it to an Audi dealer and get screwed in price. Thank you!!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

That is a boatload of fuckery my man that sux my call would be to cut your losses n sell to find something better or spend loads of money fixing the what sounds like many major areas of repair

Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 AM
2nd Gear

First, how much did you pay for this car? If it was around $500, then possibly fixing it is worth it. If you paid upwards of $2,000 for it, I would say you're in way over your head here and need to get rid of it.

The turn signal issue sounds to be a faulty hazard/turn signal relay. Cleaning the contacts within the relay is an easy 1 hour job (at most) and it should run you about 5 dollars. Do a few quick searches on the forums for the turn signal relay fix and you'll see how easy it is.

As for your shifting issues, this sounds like this maybe a deal breaker. To me it sounds like a torque converter issue if you are having significant issues with shifting into reverse and into drive.

You should get your hands on the VAG-COM software and see if there are any faults stored within the TCM that may give you some clues as to what's going on. With the amount of issues you stated that you're having in terms of switching gears, I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound like this will be an easy fix for you like a simple transmission fluid swap.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

Were about $2000 in the car already so I think I'm just going to cut my losses and sell it