Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 audi a6 2.8 model type?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 1998 audi a6 2.8 model type?

i want to purchase some parts online but im confused on what model my audi is.
what is afa and aha?
or whats the diffrence between audi a6 quattro and audi a6 quattro AVANT?
i dont want to buy the worng parts for my car. im never going to autozone agin (long story).
how can i find out what model my 1998 audi a6 quattro is?
ive looked under the hood and nothing, by the car door, everywhere.
thanks for all the help in the past ;]

Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Avant is a station wagon, quattro is all wheel drive. And the early 98 V6 is a 12 valve AFC engine. The later 98 V6 is a 30 valve engine code AHA. There is a post somewhere showing how the engine cover between the heads is different between the two but I can't find that post. If you give me your vin I can tell you what originally came in your car.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

thanks alot. my vin num is, WAUBA24B5WN097850
i have a question, is it better to buy parts online then an actual store?
all the stores that ive bought parts from dont fit my audi, which suck for me to find a place that sells good audi parts.
thanks alot knowing the midel of my car will help me TONS.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

You have a 98 A6 quattro with AHA 2.8 engine, 5 sp auto trans code DPT, prod date Feb 6 1998, that should be on your door though. I think you are limited to most parts for availability at the brick and mortor stores compared to online. Online seems to be the better choice for OEM parts, and for the better quality aftermarket parts as well. You get them fairly quick and for better prices than the dealer.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

thanks alot, that helped me out. ok 2 more questions and ill leave you alone.
what are OEM parts?
also do you think my brake pads have senors on them or are they u slotted?

i need to buy brake pads and rotors. can you give me a good website to buy them from?
your alot of help.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Google OEM parts for a more thorough explanation, but it means it's a dealer part. It's the same part that your car would have come with as it was delivered to dealers as a new car. In this case, the brake pads I have on the shelf that fit your car are in an Audi box, emblems/rings all over the box. Inside the box are brakes pads made by Ferodo. Also on our shelf are brake pads made for other Audi models from Pagid and ATE. But that's the brake pad company that Audi has making pads for those cars, be it the A4 or A8 or whatever they fit.

Here is a better example on this I've learned over the years, it applies to tires. I'll use a Porsche tire for this. Let's say you have a 2011 997 sports car. You need a rear tire, 285-35-19 Pirelli Pzero. The one on your car brand new from the dealer says 285-35-19 Pirelli Pzero N3 on the sidewall. You call the dealer and get a price on this tire. The parts guy tells you that he can sell you that size tire and he can get that same N3 Pzero tire for 350.00 dollars. You've already priced this from Les Schwab and know you can get a 285-35-19 Pzero for 300.00 dollars but it doesn't say N3 on it. This is a case where the OEM tire is the N3 version, although they are the same size, they are two different tires. The N3 version is where Porsche would tell Pirelli that they want the tire that goes on their Porsche cars to be stickier than what they normally provide, maybe quieter, maybe even a slightly different tread pattern which might happen anyway in order for it to be that stickier tire they want. Maybe it has different radial plies inside the tire, things we can't see. But you get the idea, it's not the same, and that's why it's more money. In this example you can buy the Les Schwab tire for less money but it's not the OEM tire, it won't perform as well. As a side note, let's say you autocross your car and know that Michelin just came out with a killer super sticky tire for 300.00, so you get that and it outperforms the Pzero, either version, you win because tire technology is always improving. The Porsche dealer can only sell the N series tire, it's up to you to decide if you want OEM or not. In a competitive market with so many choices it can be hard to make a good decision.

Audi has the same thing in regards to tires too, but it's not labeled N series, it may have more to do with the load and speed ratings and other things we can't see in how the tire was made. Same thing with the brakes. Ferodo is also a huge manufacturer of motorcycle street bike brake pads, well known name in that community. You could probably buy ferodo brand brakes for your car too, but as you see from my example the set Ferodo sells off their shelf would be a slightly different compound that the ones on my shelf since I have the OEM version. Mine might not create as much brake dust, might be less likely to have that annoying brake squeal noise, might stop better in the rain, hard to say.

In answer to your question, my front (do you need front or rears?) pads are solid, no slots in them, and they do have the sensors. One per side of the car. 72.54 for the front axle set of pads. 80.60 each for the front rotors. All in stock also. Plus shipping of about 40.00 for this due to weight for UPS ground, including insurance.

We have a website, click my signature to check that out. Any questions please ask, thanks. Jeff.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Yes i need both sides, front and rear break pads and rotors.
Im sorry for asking so many questions. But i was looking online and i think the rotors have measurements. The website said that the FRONT rotor for all 98 a6 are 288mm OD i dont know if thats true. But the REAR has 3 possible measurenents. theres 255mm OD x 38mm HH, 255mm x 45mm, and 245mm x 44mm. Do you think you know which one my car has to use? i dont want to order wrong parts.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

You have PR code 1LB for fronts meaning it's the 288x25 rotors. Rears PR code is 1KD which in this case doesn't translate into the exact size. I see 3 part numbers on rear rotors. Sedans use the 245's size, wagons use 255's and another p/n for the 245mm rotors but for cars with a special option code that covers oversize tires. But your vin doesn't have that option so you'd go with the 4B0-615-601 #'s for the rears on the rotors. Pads are all the same. The widths you listed would be wrong, a 45mm wide rear rotor is space shuttle size stuff, if you saw that on our website we'll have to fix that one. I'll check it later on. I don't think the rears are vented and any rotor in those widths would be vented or they'd be so heavy your oversteer everywhere!