Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 A6 Quattro 65K miles T-Belt & Cam shaft seal issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:52 AM
1st Gear
Default 98 A6 Quattro 65K miles T-Belt & Cam shaft seal issue

Hi to all :

I am new to this Audi Forum. Just bought a 1998 A6 Qiattro with 30 Valves 2.8 L engine with 65,000 miles on it and it was a one owner car.

I have went thru all posts about when and what mileage is better for changing the Timing Belt issues.

But seems no body mentioned about changing the two cam shaft seals at the same time when changing the Timing Belt -- water pump, tensioner.....etc. Because my Audi mechanic mentioned to me that he had changed quite a few of cam shaft seals of those A6 2.8 L engine.

Especially when there are engine oil drip on the floor from the top of the engine.

I intend to change the T.B. at around 75K miles. My mechanic quote me the price of $600 for changing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, rollers and the front multi-rip belt. But if I want to, it is the best time to change that cam shaft seals for an extra $ 400.

I don't have to do that cam shaft seal deal, he told me, but if that cam shaft seal leak and I want to keep the car, then I have to take off that timing belt again.

My questions here are:

1. According to majority combined Audi tech. experienced opinions, at what mileage,
if keeping normal oil change intervals, should that cam shaft seals weared out and
leak oil ????

2. At 75 K miles, I also plan to change the Automatic Transmission oil and differiential oil, my mechanic quote me around a price of $ 200 , is that reasonable ??? Or do I need to do that at all ???

Thanks.

Sthelen

Old 12-28-2004, 11:42 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: 98 A6 Quattro 65K miles T-Belt & Cam shaft seal issue

If you have the extra money then go ahead and change the cam seals, it's a pretty good idea to do preventative maintanance. It's not necessary though. As far as changing the fluids, Audi defines them as "Lifetime Fluids", so that is also not necessary. With that being said, you will probably experience better shifting as a result, and longer tranny life. I don't believe everything Audi tells me. ESPECIALLY there timing belt change intervals! (120k miles)

So it all breakes down to if you have the money to do the job. You could always do the job yourself.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

For the timing belt, I had experience doing that on Toyota's Supra in-line double overhead cam engine and late model 1994 Toyota 3.0 Liter V6 engine.

Can I change the timing belt for this Audi A6 myslef ??? A6's engine bay has twice the space than those Japanese engines. Are they just straight forward procedures without any special tools ??

I had ordered those NGK two ground electrode type spark plugs instead of Bosch platium plugs, but NAPA guy told me they had a newer NGK laser platium plugs. Which kind of plugs are you recommend ???

Thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
6th Gear

Sure the timing belt procedure isn't especially difficult, it's just time consuming. I changed mine with no problem.

i think this is for a newer one, but most audi's timing belt procedure are similar.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng39.shtml

As far as spark plugs, you may want to search around audiworld.com for suggestions. There are so many plugs out there to use.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply.

I will go to that web-site and find out more about the A6.

Happy New Year.

Sthelen