Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Issues

Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

I was doing a distributor cap and rotor replacement on a 2003 GMC Safari van today and couldn't get it into the garage because it wouldn't start. I thought it was bad with temperatures around 32F and a 25mph wind... I don't blame you for not wanting to do EGTs in those temps!

I'm fairly confident that once you pull them off and really get a good solder connection going that you'll be back up and running with working EGTs again.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

Alright, finally some progress on this!

I took out the passenger side EGT for a more thorough soldering job. I opted to do just one because I had already tried soldering both and was still getting faults so I chose to try again on the one that's easy to remove.

I scraped all the goo out and resoldered the bejesus out of every point I could see. Seriously, just heaped solder onto that thing.

Put it back in ... and no more errors ... from EITHER side. More evidence for my theory that they share a common ground.

Thanks for the encouragement to try the solder trick more than once!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Default How did you get to the EGT on the driver side???

OK, everything i have read says the driver side EGT is worse than replacing the timing belt.

I have to agree. I was able to see and remove the passenger side in less than 45 minutes. The driver side is scary. I am having issues just finding it. I have read multiple user say they removed both. How did you get the driver side off? Is it best to come from the bottom or from the top?

I am not a mechanic but try to do what I can to save money on repairs.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I just spent 73 euros ($84) on 2 new custom EGT boards. I will try to re-sadder the passer side one first and see what happens.

I drive a 2003 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T. Automatic Transmission. 146K miles on it.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Solder drivers side in place

If you're just trying to do the solder fix, I actually managed to re-solder the driver's side while it was still attached.

If you're replacing ... Well, we managed to get the drivers side out eventually with small hands and stubby tools. I believe from the top. Sorry I don't have more advice :S

Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Egt

I could replace the old board with that I got from Andzrej while it was on the car, it was driver's side so I had no choice. Before replacement I checked the connections for broken solders but did not find any so I did the replacement. The other is the original so I am curious how far this gets me, with different boards on both sides. I you work slowly I am sure you can replace it on the car. Remove the Y pipe and you will see those two boxes. I had to cut open the box with dremel. Scrape the silicon, desolder and replace. Put down rtv silicone and glue the cover again. I hope you can do it easily.

Levent