Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 thermostat change

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Default 2.8 thermostat change

Anybody can give me step by step instructions for a 99 audi quattro a6 2.8 thermostat change? And any special tools that may be required?

Last edited by crewdogg15; 05-19-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

OK....step by step

1. buy a new thermostat

2. Completely disassemble car

3. Reassemble car around new thermostat

sorry to be not so informative. It is an extremely complex process that pretty much involves removing the entire front end of your car. Just so you can access the stuff on the front of the engine that you have to remove to get to the thermostat.

I doubt that you will find anyone with the time and patience to spell it all out for you. The manual does call for some special tools (chopsticks anyone) but almost everything is adaptable. Good socket wrench, 10" extension, universal or a wobble...10 mm socket, 5 mm, 7 mm, 8mm hex sockets, set of torx sockets, BFH, 24mm socket, really big spanner (cant remember the size 1 1/4" maybe?)

bunch of other stuff

Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Cool thanks, Wasn't sure if the bumper and radiator had to be disco'd or not. Does the timing belt have to come off?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

02A6Beau.. you just made my day. hahahaha

Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 AM

yes, the timing belt has to come off

may as well replace all of timing hardware while you are in there because you wont want to do it again anytime soon. I forgot, you need a 17mm socket too and I'm sure a few others that I can't recollect at the moment

Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

Thermostat replacement does require the timing belt to come off. Replace the water pump, tensioner, cam seals and etc while at it.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Thermostat replacement does require the timing belt to come off. Replace the water pump, tensioner, cam seals and etc while at it.
^^^^^ ++++++++ Or you'll be sorry!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 AM

Hey, I DID THE JOB WITH A BUDDY SAT AND MADE MY OWN VIDEO!! Its on youtube. Please check it out and rate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JKy5DYhJmc

Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

The '96 A4 V6 looks very similar.

The symptoms I have are:
1. Normal ramp up time to normal temp (gauge right in the middle/needle vertical)
2. It'll stay there for a bit then slowly get hotter (about 3/4 of the way to 'HOT')
3. It won't overheat, but it runs hotter than 'normal'

215,000 miles on it

I'm not concerned if it's the thermostat or pump. I've been trying for a while to get the time to replace the timing belt, which I know as of visiting here now, won't take me less than most of the day if not weekend. While doing that I was going to replace the pump, front main seal as it's weeping, and now the thermostat as it's right in there behind the pump. Oh what fun, what joy.

A while back I did a new fan without removing the radiator, lights etc. Is it really needed to do that for the timing belt etc, or is it just easier to do with all that removed, along with the reduced risk of hitting the back of the radiator with a slipping wrench etc?

Crewdogg - your video has been a great help in figuring out what's ahead - Thanks for taking the time and effort to do it

Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 AM

it is supposed to be doable by just moving the lock carrier forward enough to get at the front of the motor. In my opinion, it doesn't take much more work just to take the whole thing off. With the whole front end out of the way it is a lot easier to see what you are doing and get tools, your hands, whatever else in and out. Now if you were someone that did this kind of work every day and knew exactly what was where and how to get everything in and out with limited space I suppose it would be easier just to move the lock carrier, but since we aren't that (for the most part), I recommend taking the extra time to make the job as easy on yourself as possible.

good luck

Quick Reply: 2.8 thermostat change