Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Audi A6 3.0L misfiring..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Exclamation 2002 Audi A6 3.0L misfiring..

Ok so this is the deal. I bought a car form an internet auction, 2 weeks later when it comes. The car doesen't start.. Then when filling it up with oil, it starts.. We called out a mechanic and his computer thingy showed that there is a misfire on cylinder 4 , 5, and 6. So we changed the spark plugs and nothing changes, still the same problem.. The car misfires and shakes. It has only 66,000 miles on it. We ordered new engine coils and will see if that solves the problem, but not quite sure. Please help me by telling what can cause this issue.. Could it be the timing belt too? Thank you..

BTW this site is awesome!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

I am having a somewhat similar issue with one of my Audi, the 2005 A4 3.0 that sat on a dealer lot for 7+ months. The gas tank was running on empty when we drove the car back home , about 65 miles, but we could not stop to refill as the battery was dead and it would have required another jump to get the car started. From home I went to a gas station to fill up, only to have the engine missing and throwing a cell, multiple cyl misfiring. I put fresh gas in the car, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the spark plugs,and the car still misbehaves. The vag scan indicated Cyl 5 misfiring, so I swapped the coil pack and tested again... Same crap!
I am sending the 6 injectors to be cleaned professionally as I strongly suspect that junk in the gas tank made its way to the injectors and managed to clog at least one of them.
Some time next week I should know if the issue was caused by clogged injectors or if I still have the problem.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I am having a somewhat similar issue with one of my Audi, the 2005 A4 3.0 that sat on a dealer lot for 7+ months. The gas tank was running on empty when we drove the car back home , about 65 miles, but we could not stop to refill as the battery was dead and it would have required another jump to get the car started. From home I went to a gas station to fill up, only to have the engine missing and throwing a cell, multiple cyl misfiring. I put fresh gas in the car, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the spark plugs,and the car still misbehaves. The vag scan indicated Cyl 5 misfiring, so I swapped the coil pack and tested again... Same crap!
I am sending the 6 injectors to be cleaned professionally as I strongly suspect that junk in the gas tank made its way to the injectors and managed to clog at least one of them.
Some time next week I should know if the issue was caused by clogged injectors or if I still have the problem.
yah hope it gets fixed somehow.. the check engine light also flashes.. but i don't think so my problem is clogged injectors.. Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 sadly are misfiring.. The car was probably sitting for sometime.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

It seems that your misfiring cylinders are on the same side of the engine (driver side), and I am wondering if there is a separate ignition module for each side or if there is just one for all 6 cylinders. Maybe someone knowledgeable can chime in...

Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 PM

It seems that your misfiring cylinders are on the same side of the engine (driver side), and I am wondering if there is a separate ignition module for each side or if there is just one for all 6 cylinders. Maybe someone knowledgeable can chime in...
you probably might be right... an audi mechanic will come (he charges very cheap)BUT I REALLY need to get this straightforward and need somones advice in what can go wrong.. you know what sucks.. i haven't even got to drive it..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sports265
Ok so this is the deal. I bought a car form an internet auction, 2 weeks later when it comes. The car doesen't start.. Then when filling it up with oil, it starts.. We called out a mechanic and his computer thingy showed that there is a misfire on cylinder 4 , 5, and 6. So we changed the spark plugs and nothing changes, still the same problem.. The car misfires and shakes. It has only 66,000 miles on it. We ordered new engine coils and will see if that solves the problem, but not quite sure. Please help me by telling what can cause this issue.. Could it be the timing belt too? Thank you..

BTW this site is awesome!
FYI FLASHING CEL MEANS DO NOT RUN ENGINE!!!

Have it towed to a shop! or get out your tools.

You need to make a decision. Do you want to repair it your self or send this to a shop?

We can help you with the diagnosis but you will need some tools and the ability to do the work.

The 3 cylinders misfiring on the same side could be one of the following. Cam sensor, timing belt slipped a tooth, cams out of time, bent valves- I effin hope not.

It's not the coils but don't freak those orange ones suck so if all goes well you'll need them (save all of the old ones for spares)

If you would like to go about this yourself you will need the most important tool VAG-COM www.ross-tech.com it is a cable and a program for your laptop. It will pull all of your fault codes for easier diagnosis as well as other **** you will learn later.The generic scanners will not pull all of the codes and you will only get half the picture with those so don't buy one but if you know someone with one use it to read what you can for now while you wait for the VAG-COM.

next get a bentley manual at www.bentleypublishers.com

Also go to the auto parts store and get compression tester to test the cylinders. I can tell you how it's not hard.This will eliminate bent valves and possibly point at it being out of time.

A cheap torx set and a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension to get the t-belt covers off and check the belt condition.

A camera because your calling parts "thingy"

The sensor can be tested but it is a PITFA to hit those tiny little pins with a ohm meter so lets see what the scan has to say first.

SO WHATS IT GONNA BE The shop or you?
If it goes to the shop you must flat bed it. If the T-belt breaks your out a lot of $$$ on new valves.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear

The coilpacks are controlled by the ECM (engine control module) it realizes the position of the valves by recieving a signal from the cam sensors. Then it can adjust the cams and the ignition timing. So you can see how a faulty cam sensor would fit in here.

Be weary of what your mechanic says if he is the one that sudgested coils are the cause. You don't need to tell him that just keep it to yourself.

FYI Auditech79 is the guru on this engine he loves them JK!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
FYI FLASHING CEL MEANS DO NOT RUN ENGINE!!!

Have it towed to a shop! or get out your tools.

You need to make a decision. Do you want to repair it your self or send this to a shop?

We can help you with the diagnosis but you will need some tools and the ability to do the work.

The 3 cylinders misfiring on the same side could be one of the following. Cam sensor, timing belt slipped a tooth, cams out of time, bent valves- I effin hope not.

It's not the coils but don't freak those orange ones suck so if all goes well you'll need them (save all of the old ones for spares)

If you would like to go about this yourself you will need the most important tool VAG-COM www.ross-tech.com it is a cable and a program for your laptop. It will pull all of your fault codes for easier diagnosis as well as other **** you will learn later.The generic scanners will not pull all of the codes and you will only get half the picture with those so don't buy one but if you know someone with one use it to read what you can for now while you wait for the VAG-COM.

next get a bentley manual at www.bentleypublishers.com

Also go to the auto parts store and get compression tester to test the cylinders. I can tell you how it's not hard.This will eliminate bent valves and possibly point at it being out of time.

A cheap torx set and a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension to get the t-belt covers off and check the belt condition.

A camera because your calling parts "thingy"

The sensor can be tested but it is a PITFA to hit those tiny little pins with a ohm meter so lets see what the scan has to say first.

SO WHATS IT GONNA BE The shop or you?
If it goes to the shop you must flat bed it. If the T-belt breaks your out a lot of $$$ on new valves.
Actually it's going to be a specialized mechanic who knows everything about auids.. in fact he has 12 audis in his family lol.. well thx!i think i'll get it fixed, somehow..

Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
The coilpacks are controlled by the ECM (engine control module) it realizes the position of the valves by recieving a signal from the cam sensors. Then it can adjust the cams and the ignition timing. So you can see how a faulty cam sensor would fit in here.

Be weary of what your mechanic says if he is the one that sudgested coils are the cause. You don't need to tell him that just keep it to yourself.

FYI Auditech79 is the guru on this engine he loves them JK!
actually we will see if it has something to do wit the timing belt.. he changes them for $150..

Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

Be careful, Sport. A TB kit is $300-400 and it takes 6 hours of shop labor. If he only charges $150, either he married your sister or something is wrong with the deal.

Quick Reply: 2002 Audi A6 3.0L misfiring..