Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 a6 electrical issue - worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 a6 electrical issue - worth keeping?

audi a6 2001 2.8l quattro 213k miles body has a few dings and right front head light is loose in it's socket. Other then that car was maintained by 1 owner it whole life besides the last year or 2 their son had it. I have most of the initial service paper work along with thing's done after warranty. Car ran like a dream expect now

EPC is on car won't start , clearly it's a loose connection as i have several. I got so fed up over a few months of learning to be a mechanic on an audi smh.

I broke parts and replaced parts and I am in the same boat . So i had it towed to a mechanic to at least get the car to start. Now i'm looking at 500-1000$ on repairs or to diagnose the problem.

My ? is from you experienced gentlemen with similar issues, should i trash the car and get a new vehicle, I always end up keeping cars way to long paying insurance for months without driving them and hear i am again.

I bought the car for 750$ and have put around 500 into it and half that was not needed, and after this repair bill probably another 500 more to make it tip top. my main goal would be to fix it to sell it because the car in working order is still around 2k value, so hear is the ? all feed back is welcome and sorry for the long rant. I have been through a lot with this car and life in general in the pat 4 months so i am sorry

Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

Electrical issues are easy if you just tackle everything at once.

I'd start under the hood, undo all the electrical connectors and lay out the entire harness on the garage floor, clean the wire tape, check all connectors, clean them, replace anything questionable, Check all the terminals, personally I'd just take all the pins out and make sure everything was clean. Check every inch of every wire while it's in the garage and replace any broken wires.

Do the same thing inside, take out driver and passenger seats, pull back carpet from driver and passenger foot wells, check CCM module for corrosion, and the TCM for corrosion and all the wires that go to them, you may have to cut into 1 do it to the wire closes to the ground of the car, it most likely got the most water contact.

These Audi's are notorious for battery drain holes plugging and sunroof drain holes plugging. In both scenarios water gets under the passenger and drivers seat.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

thank you for the reply, so basically buying the bently manual and just taking my time, being semi capable human aware of the endeavor I am about to get into , instead of pay X mechanic 1k or so I can spend half that and learn a lot... sound about right? I just got very frustrated and first time being a real mechanic and as you may be aware not so easy of a job

*this is all mostly i feel due to me leaving the black plastic plate off from the summer when i changed the oil and snow rain etc, got way up more where it should not have been.
Originally Posted by RicksAUdi4.2
Electrical issues are easy if you just tackle everything at once.

I'd start under the hood, undo all the electrical connectors and lay out the entire harness on the garage floor, clean the wire tape, check all connectors, clean them, replace anything questionable, Check all the terminals, personally I'd just take all the pins out and make sure everything was clean. Check every inch of every wire while it's in the garage and replace any broken wires.

Do the same thing inside, take out driver and passenger seats, pull back carpet from driver and passenger foot wells, check CCM module for corrosion, and the TCM for corrosion and all the wires that go to them, you may have to cut into 1 do it to the wire closes to the ground of the car, it most likely got the most water contact.

These Audi's are notorious for battery drain holes plugging and sunroof drain holes plugging. In both scenarios water gets under the passenger and drivers seat.

Last edited by MrLRGesus; 07-18-2016 at 10:53 PM.