Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Quattro 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A6 Quattro 4.2

Found an 01 A6 with the 4.2. 300 horses is attractive. I currently have the A4 2.8 and really like the car. Anything to look for in particular with this model and engine?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Just bought the same car for the wife-unit. The best part of it is, it is the first car she has been excited over in her life. She's even taking care of it!

On what to watch for, you didn't state the mileage, but a transmission fluid/filter change would be a good idea! IF you do have trouble with one, the tranny is $3500-5000 from all that I've seen. Torque converters also seem to have a faulty seal in 2000 & 2001 model years. ($1800)

The vacume lines under the engine covers deteriorate with age/heat. You will probably want to replace them, but it's easy and only about $15.00 worth of vacume hose.

I'd suggest taking it to your local dealer before purchase, and have them do a "used car inspection" for you. Our local dealer charged $70.00 for this, but I feel it was money well spent. I think if you take it to the used car side of service, you will get a better price.

Other than those things, they are supposed to be a very reliable engine, and a great car. You will love it!

hope this helps some,
Ken

Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 460Jetboat
Just bought the same car for the wife-unit. The best part of it is, it is the first car she has been excited over in her life. She's even taking care of it!

On what to watch for, you didn't state the mileage, but a transmission fluid/filter change would be a good idea! IF you do have trouble with one, the tranny is $3500-5000 from all that I've seen. Torque converters also seem to have a faulty seal in 2000 & 2001 model years. ($1800)

The vacume lines under the engine covers deteriorate with age/heat. You will probably want to replace them, but it's easy and only about $15.00 worth of vacume hose.

I'd suggest taking it to your local dealer before purchase, and have them do a "used car inspection" for you. Our local dealer charged $70.00 for this, but I feel it was money well spent. I think if you take it to the used car side of service, you will get a better price.

Other than those things, they are supposed to be a very reliable engine, and a great car. You will love it!

hope this helps some,
Ken
The car has 108K on the clock. It is a 'sport' model which looks like a rear deck spoiler. The car looks really clean but that can be tricky. It is at a "dirt lot" which is scary. The Transmission thing could be a dealbreaker for me..it is a 2001....

Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

Take it to the Audi Dealer near you and have them do an inspection. I asked if I could go back and have a look underneath, and the tech was really nice, and showed me a lot about the cars potential problems, and what needed done. Because of all this, I was able to buy the car really cheap!
They can pull up service records on the car that have been done by an Audi dealer, and previous owners. Get in contact with the most previous owner and ask about some things, perticularly the cam belt, and if he has had the transmission serviced.

Ours came from a dirt lot too, however it was traded in (to the local Audi dealer) by an attorney two weeks prior. They didn't want to retail it because it had 101,000, so they ran it to the St.Louis auction. The local dirt lot bought it at the auction, and brought it back to the same town!

Do some research on the car, if it looks really clean. It was probably owned by a professional who took good care of it...but check it out before you write it off.

Ken F

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 460Jetboat
Take it to the Audi Dealer near you and have them do an inspection. I asked if I could go back and have a look underneath, and the tech was really nice, and showed me a lot about the cars potential problems, and what needed done. Because of all this, I was able to buy the car really cheap!
They can pull up service records on the car that have been done by an Audi dealer, and previous owners. Get in contact with the most previous owner and ask about some things, perticularly the cam belt, and if he has had the transmission serviced.

Ours came from a dirt lot too, however it was traded in (to the local Audi dealer) by an attorney two weeks prior. They didn't want to retail it because it had 101,000, so they ran it to the St.Louis auction. The local dirt lot bought it at the auction, and brought it back to the same town!

Do some research on the car, if it looks really clean. It was probably owned by a professional who took good care of it...but check it out before you write it off.

Ken F
On a side note...the reason I am very interested in the car...how do you like the performance of the 4.2? I have read that it is much like the 2.7TT but I imagine that it would be better given the 50 extra ponies and more torque from an 8.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

I am going to go see her in a few days if it is still there that long...are there any tell tale signs to look for with this tranny? noises fluid color etc etc

Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear

You won't be able to see the fluid color (unless it has a tranny dipstick...), but you can get underneath and look for leaks around the pan and also by the flanges (those seals do leak in time) + the center and rear differentials.
I would start the car and cycle it through all the gears, keeping it engaged in each at least 15-20 seconds. You should be able to feel that it engages the gear, but it should be no thuds, thunks or jerks. If it makes any noise, then stay away from it.
Moreover... DRIVE TEST it! Take note how it feels and shifts: starting from a dead stop; breaking from speed and accelerating abruptly, downshift manually through the lower gears and upshift back, etc

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

Skip Audi, You need to beat the snot out of that thing.
You need to start and stop it a few times and pull all of the codes with a VAG-COM. Don't buy it otherwise!!!

Find an independent Audi dealer to look at it.

Make sure you start it cold! Do not let those bastards warm it up for you.

You will be putting $2000 in parts plus labor or DIY. just to service it. Unless they have service records showing a new timing belt and waterpump etc.

$2000 plus in both of mine. I like the 4.2 it's a good engina

Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by deviant
It is a 'sport' model which looks like a rear deck spoiler.
Not exactly sure where you are, but US versions of the `01 4.2 sedans didn't come with rear trunk spoilers from the factory. There was an OE accessory spoiler available at that time(dealer install)...different from factory-installed 'S-Line 2.7T' spoiler. And, of coarse, inexpensive aftermarket alternatives abound.

UberTeile

Last edited by UberTeile; 01-25-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

In answer to your question, I absoutly love the 4.2! It is a torque monster.
It will outrun almost anything away from a stop with 1/3 throttle.

I still would recomend taking it to an Audi dealer for what they call a 70 point inspection ($70). They will put it on a lift for you, let you look underneath, look at the tranny fluid, suspension components, make recomendations on what will be needed soon, and pull all the stored codes. They can also print off any service ever done at an Audi Dealer for you. For $70 it's good info & a good value.

The car will not have a tranny dipstick, however the tech would pull the fill plug on the bottom of the tranny and inspect the condition of the fluid and should be able to tell you if it has been changed. (should be at 100,000)
If the fluid change was done at a dealership, he will be able to pull it up on his computer.

The guy who did mine, printed out everything that had been done since the car was new. Warranty replacements, oil changes with date and mileage, ect. Even clear down to wiper blades.

If the car looks good, don't be afraid. You will absoutly love it.

Ken

Last edited by 460Jetboat; 01-26-2011 at 08:05 AM.