Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Avant 2.8 quattro engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Avant 2.8 quattro engine dies

I'm a new member, but a grateful benefactor of the forums for years.

My beloved 2001 A6 2.8L Avant quattro wagon has given me a scare the last few days. Seems like each time I drive it (just around town... so far) the engine will just die for no reason. On turns or straights. Lose power steering, get all the standard warning lights. I slow down, put in park, and it starts right back up. This morning, it happened twice bringing daughter to school. The second time was scariest so far -- was drive about 35 mph on a straight and suddenly a loud thud, seemingly beneath car, and jerk in forward motion. That part concerned me. Car did start right up again and I limped it about 1/4 mile home to garage where it sits now. One possibly related thig I have observed on the panel is the ESP (electronic stability program) indicator light seems to light up just as the stall happens and occasionally stays lit a bit longer on ignition. Perhaps something ABS? The big thud & jerk has me thinking tranny/engine.

Car's minimally serviced, but fluids always done on time. Not driven hard. It has 175K miles. I did the coolant temp sensor about 2 years ago (got the green one). Timing belt's over due, last done at 80K. Need a dealership visit NOW, but ideas on what this problem is about?? Thank you.

-----------------------

UPDATE: Just started car in garage. Started fine, but then idled rough for a few moments. Computer tried to stabilize revs and then engine stalled out. Restarted and same thing. Now starting to think fuel pump. But why the previously described thud/jerk?

Last edited by gregkn; 11-07-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: update