Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A6 4.2 Quattro Horror Story

Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Audi issued a recall on the car in 2011 for the leaking gas tank as ordered by the feds. Audi claims they repaired it in June 2011 when I had the car at the dealers for a headlight problem (deer collision). I complained to Audi and they told me to take the car into the dealer for a diagnosis of the problem. I did that an paid them for labor and they told me they could not figure anything out because of all the error codes which had nothing to do with checking to see if there was a leak at the old repair. They also informed me that if the repair was leaking it was my problem since the recall only required them to fix it once, not to repair it again if their original repair failed. They told me they will replace the tank for a the low low price of $3100.
Once I verify that they indeed did the recall repair and that the leak is due to the same defect, will go to the federal transportation agency for relief or sue them. The dealer was allegedly paid to make the repair. If they screwed it up they are responsible just as if you had taken your car in for a brake job and they screwed it up.
This car is a fine piece of machinery and I intend to keep it unlike my American cars that rust out, have failed AC system, heater cores leaking and many other problems after 10 years.

Last edited by tultalk; 11-16-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Success

After much frustration at dealer and numerous complaints to AOA, they sent an engineer to evaluate my tank leak and previous recall repair.
They are replacing the tank.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tultalk
After much frustration at dealer and numerous complaints to AOA, they sent an engineer to evaluate my tank leak and previous recall repair.
They are replacing the tank.
Good on you. That perseverance pays off!

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Question on new tank

As I said Audi agreed to replace the tank. They called today to assure me they have not forgotten. Found only one new tank in the USA (I am surprised that there are any)

I asked if they will make the recall repair on the new tank to assure the same thing does not happen. "Counter guy" said that this is a new tank and would have addressed the earlier faulty design problem.

Not to be critical but I don't trust them. The repair kit for the recall included shims to lower tank and a rubber support for the aluminum vent line to reduce stressing on the vent connection. If improper support of the vent line and the position of the tank were contributing factors, then those issues should be addressed with the new tank also. Is there some way to identify the faulty production run on these tanks by code or date? Should I demand to look at the new tank before installation?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

I would ask for pictures, but look at it this way. You have it documented that they f*cked up. and if this job fails, claim your car against insurance and get a new one

Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

But I love my 4.2 40V raging bulldog. The fender flairs and 12" wide tires make it look formidable. That said, my fell upon a 2015 A8 turbo charged monster at the dealer. A black beauty.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

wide hips big **** I get your point

Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Gas Tank Replacement

Finally the dealer got the tank in. Gave me a 2015 A4 2L turbo loaner.
They siad it will take 3-4 days to replace it.

Nice car but small. My head hit the inside on bumps!!!! Hard to get in and out of.

My A6 seems a much harder ride. Now I am wondering about my shocks.

The A6 seems sportier than this little car. The A4 feels like a very smooth ride where my A6 is harsh.

Any comments?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

what rims are you running on the a6, but yes looks at suspension to.

when I move from the 16" to 17" rims it stiffened up the ride

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Yes I have 17" wheels. Bent 5 rims and blown the low profile tires on potholes.

Michelin were the worst. Nitto seem the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 A6 4.2 Quattro Horror Story