Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A6 2.7T Transmission Fluid Change ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A6 2.7T Transmission Fluid Change ??

Hi, I am approaching 98,000 miles. I am thinking about changing my transmission fluid. I am pretty sue the fluid has never been replaced. I am asking for trouble ? My transmission is working fine. I remember many years ago people always said that if you didn't change the fluid when recommended you are better off not changing at all. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 AM
1st Gear
Default ATF Fluid Change

Hi Cudafish,

You will not hurt anything by changing your ATF Fluid. Audi and many other car manufacturers call the synthetic ATF fluid, "Lifetime" fluid, but lets not forget....the ATF fluid is much like the synthetic engine oil. It will still have contaminants and some moisture in it and the filter will not filter as well once the contaminant levels get so hi. The only way to rid the AT of any moisture and/or contaminants is to perform a fluid and filter change.

I did mine about 5 months ago...at 61k miles and have not had any problems. Blauparts sells a kit with everything needed including detailed instructions.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. Did Audi use a synthetic oil in 2004 A6 tranny ?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Anytime.

Yes they did. You can check your owners manual if you're ever in doubt about fluids, filters, etc. needed for your car. There is a lot of useful/helpful info there that many owners are never aware of.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again

Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

I personally would not touch it, I had mine done while it was in for a major service, shortly after I had nothing but issues, I do not know if they are directly related, but I just wouldn't take the chance

Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Now I am not sure. I received two different responses for senior board members.

Thanks again for the reply's

Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

i will add my 2 cents, since i it has a drain plug and a filter that can be removed and replaced i think its meant to be changed at some point. if you are having doubts just go pay your local jiffylube or somthing to change it and that way if you have a issue it falls on them not you. my buddy had his 01 z28 trans fluid changed and we watched them do it, the **** was black and he only had like 60k on it. so i think you should change it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

I should have done the change myself or taken it to Audi, I trusted an indy that was not uber familiar with Audi's. I believe that if the proper procedure is followed, it would be a safe thing to do, I just know how easy it is to not follow procedure. If you are undertaking it yourself and you have a level spot where you can get all 4 wheels off the ground, then go for it. I did not mean to cause confusion, just beware that things may go poorly if you don't follow the procedure to a Tee

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

I changed mine for the first time at 230K miles using the Blauparts kit and it didn't look bad, but it definitely shifts better now. I think Audi's lifetime transmission fluid depends a lot on what your understanding of lifetime is. I hadn't changed it before because I had read that it was difficult and that people had problems afterward, but it wasn't really that difficult and so far I haven't had any problems. If you're going to keep the car for a while, I'd change the fluid.

Quick Reply: 2004 A6 2.7T Transmission Fluid Change ??