Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A6 2.7T Transmission Fluid Change ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. I will change the oil myself and will follow up here.

Thanks again

Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey, we have service kits for your car here:

http://www.raimotorsport.com/ATF-Fil.../01v398009.htm

The Redline fluid is better than OEM and can help preserve the life of your transmission

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

Better?
Says who?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

I was informed by my audi tech, that this needs to be done with a trans temp between 34-36*C bacuse of the expansion factor since there is no vent on the auto tip trans. just an FYI...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

If my factory Audi transmission fluid lasted 230K miles and still looked good, that Redline stuff must really be something to be better! What would you base that on?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear

ZF's definition of lifetime is about 100K miles. I changed mine at 75000 and it is working great.

FYI, you need synthetic. Which one to use? There will be a never ending debate... Pentosin, Esso, Mobil 1 all seem to work; however, changing the filter and the fluid is not as simple as dumping out the fluid and filling it. One, there is no dip stick. Two, you have to fill the fluid at certain temperature. I recommend using VAGcom to read the temperature reading, but there is a way to do without it. Also filling it requires a hand pump, unless you are planning to use gravity feed method like the dealers do.

Do some research before you do it. I have a PDF that I created if you are interested.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by hxgaser
ZF's definition of lifetime is about 100K miles. I changed mine at 75000 and it is working great.

FYI, you need synthetic. Which one to use? There will be a never ending debate... Pentosin, Esso, Mobil 1 all seem to work; however, changing the filter and the fluid is not as simple as dumping out the fluid and filling it. One, there is no dip stick. Two, you have to fill the fluid at certain temperature. I recommend using VAGcom to read the temperature reading, but there is a way to do without it. Also filling it requires a hand pump, unless you are planning to use gravity feed method like the dealers do.

Do some research before you do it. I have a PDF that I created if you are interested.
I am interested in your PDF about changing the tranny oil, I have an 02 A6 and it dumped the oil because of a bad hose behind the radiator. Dealership charges me a fortune to refill it, and I would have to tow it to their shop.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

I would also be interested in looking at the PDF you created.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
3rd Gear

Whoever is interested, PM me with your email address.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Changed mine for the first time last night on my 03 a6 2.7t took about an hour an a half, this forum and this diy helped me a lot, Audi 01V Tiptronic Transmission Fluid Change | Audiction.com .. simple enough, not to mention I'm 17. The manual 6-speed transmissions hold about 2.5L, and the automatic transmissions hold 6-7L. Make sure the car is level when draining and filling. There is a drain plug and a fill plug located about midway on the transmission, the oil comes out fast and if your engine isn't cool the oil is hotter than you think. The hardest part of the fluid change was getting the fluid in the fill bolt with no gravity fed fluid pump or "something like that".. I ended up taking a piece of pvc pipe, heating it up and bending it to the correct angle to fit in the fill bolt hole and fixing it on the spout of the transmission fluid bottle then squeezing the fluid out of the bottle which deemed pretty difficult. Before the fluid chance I was experiencing trouble shifting into first and second and downshifting, my assumption is that the linkage is F-ed up but changing the tranny fluid definitely helped and was worth it.. http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/

Last edited by dasboost33; 10-17-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: link didn't post

Quick Reply: 2004 A6 2.7T Transmission Fluid Change ??