Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just dropped almost 6 G's to repair my A-6

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Just dropped almost 6 G's to repair my A-6

2005 A6 Quattro, 3.2, 52,000 miles

Had the cam adj sollenoid replaced, then the idle pulley replaced. After an accident, had to have half the engine replaced (allegedly not accident related--that's a whole different story in itself). $6,000!!!

Here's my question. OR maybe I just want sympathy. But a $6,000 repair on a car with barely 50K miles on it, seems extreme. Should I try and talk to Audi on this and see where I stand or am I basically S.O.L.? All these repairs were done at our local foreign performance repair shop.

Love Audi, but I think I got a lemon.

Last edited by mom22greatkids; 03-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear

Define "accident".

Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear

Didn't have it repaired at an Audi dealer = SOL.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

the accident was relatively minor. I was rear ended, then hit the car in front of me. A trailer hitch went through my grill, but no damage was done to the engine compartment at all. all in all about $4000 in damage.

the reason i took it to the foreign performance is because the audi dealership was so backed up THEY had the car towed from the collision repair place to the foreign performance shop (even paid for it).

out of the eight page receipt i have, here are a few highlights as to the repairs:

intake cam had jumped time and several rocker arms were no longer under the cam.
cam ruined and chain tensioner was missing.
intake valves bent as well.
intake muffler blew off hose and it melted on the exhaust system. about half the timing chain ramp material was found in the back corner of r/s head. the rest of the ramp material was found in the oil pan and oil pump screen.
after putting everything back together, engine ran, but sounded rough.
found a damaged intake cam adjuster from the bending of the valves. it was replaced and everything was reset.

Ugh! I'm so frustrated with this huge repair. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and move on.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Just because the accident didn't cause visible damage to the motor doesn't mean that damage didn't occur that you couldn't see. Was the car run after the wreck prior to finding these damages? If not it would probably be something to pursue with the insurance company as further damages caused by the wreck.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

That's the whole thing! It was a week before the collision repair shop had us bring it in. We didn't drive it because it was damaged, although it was drivable. Once the estimate was placed and the parts came in, we drove it to the shop and they drove it in the garage. After almost two weeks when the body repairs were done, they went to crank it and it wouldn't start. Which led to this whole process. The audi tech said he highly doubted it was accident related (thanks, buddy) so the insurance paid for the body work, took the rental car, and said see ya. I was without the car from January 2nd to February 16th!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mom22greatkids
the accident was relatively minor. I was rear ended, then hit the car in front of me. A trailer hitch went through my grill, but no damage was done to the engine compartment at all. all in all about $4000 in damage.
a) the accident wasn't your fault
b) the bill of repairs isn't consistent at all with the above statement. If the hitch of the car in front of you went through the radiator(s) and somehow got tangled with the accesory and timing belt, then all that damage is perfectly explainable.
In which case, if you don't get any satisfaction from the insurance company (it sounds you will not), you should file in the small claims court (up to $ 5000?) against the person who rear end it you, or his/her insurance company.
However, the testimony of the Audi mechanic makes it really difficult for you to have a claim, since there was no direct relationship between the accident and the engine damage - according to him. Although if he's working at/for that "foreign shop", his testimony may be fabricated (if h's working for the Audi dealer that prompted you to have it TOWED!!!!??? to the foreign shop, then disregard)...Since the car was driveable and you drove it to the shop - according to you - you should really look into talking with a lawyer.

...the reason i took it to the foreign performance is because the audi dealership was so backed up THEY had the car towed from the collision repair place to the foreign performance shop (even paid for it).
-
We didn't drive it because it was damaged, although it was drivable. Once the estimate was placed and the parts came in, we drove it to the shop and they drove it in the garage.
This is a "scratching beard" moment.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The following is mind blowing considering that the engine compartment had no damage whatsoever in correlation to the fender-bender:

out of the eight page receipt i have, here are a few highlights as to the repairs:

intake cam had jumped time and several rocker arms were no longer under the cam.
cam ruined and chain tensioner was missing.
intake valves bent as well.
intake muffler blew off hose and it melted on the exhaust system. about half the timing chain ramp material was found in the back corner of r/s head. the rest of the ramp material was found in the oil pan and oil pump screen.
after putting everything back together, engine ran, but sounded rough.
found a damaged intake cam adjuster from the bending of the valves. it was replaced and everything was reset.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by mom22greatkids
OR maybe I just want sympathy.
You definitely got my symphaty, but something just doesn't add up related to the foreign shop.

Last edited by chefro; 03-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

In addition to talking with a lawyer to sue for underlying engine damage, you need to work on diminished value of the car. You will need an appraiser for this though. It could be up to $4K or so depending on the difference between a car that was never in an accident vs one that has been damaged.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

Here's the link to the front of the car. Relatively minor. No damage past the grill.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/DSC_0368.jpg

It was still able to be driven after the accident, but we chose not to, because of the big hole in the grill and the scratched rear bumper. Since the collision repair place had to order several parts, they suggested we keep it until they were ready. Other than a few random trips around town, it stayed in the garage until they called us to bring it in. Once they took possession of the car to repair the body work, it was about two weeks. After all their body repairs were complete, they went to start the engine, to move it from the shop and it wouldn't start. That's when they had it towed to the Audi service dept. They couldn't service it in a timely manner, so they had it towed to the foreign repair shop. And here I am. SOL.

Don't want to sell it, just spent $6K on it! But if one more thing goes wrong with this car, I may not be able to handle it!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear

You said cam adjuster solenoid was replaced. Was that before or after the accident?

Quick Reply: Just dropped almost 6 G's to repair my A-6