Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Audi A6- Shaking/vibrating a lot

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 AM
1st Gear
Default 2012 Audi A6- Shaking/vibrating a lot

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I have been looking at an A6 to buy. I tested one this week and when I went for a test drive the salesman told me that the car has been shaking since today and the engine light has come on. I thought it was minor but when he turned on the car the gear still on P and opened the door for me I saw the door shaking a lot, I sat in the drivers seat and i could feel the car was about to stall. We opened the hood and it was vibrating like a diesel engine. The car was smooth while driving at lower speeds but it was shaking even more after. Also when the car is stopped and put on N the shaking went to minimal. They said that there is still warranty left and they will send it to the Audi dealer to fix it. I really like the car and I want to get it but I am not sure how big this problem is, I don't want to have to send it back to audi over and over again for the same issue.
The car is in a very cold location in central Canada. The car is 3.0 supercharged with 20inch audi stock rims and tyres. The car has 15K kms on it.
Please help me decide.
Thanking you all in advance.
Regards
S

Last edited by shabbar.merali; 12-29-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Once the warranty repair is done, you'll know what caused the problem. It could be something as simple as a bad ignition coil taking less than 20 minutes to fix, to a cam chain tensioner or cam adjuster unit on the back of one of the cams that is causing this. That's more like a 28 hour job. Maybe even motor mounts but the car is too new for that I'd think. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your input. I called the dealer. Audi mechanics haven't looked at it yet. Appointment is made for 2nd week of Jan. I think they mentioned to him over the phone that it may be a misfiring problem but they would have to look at it to confirm.
Will keep you posted.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
Once the warranty repair is done, you'll know what caused the problem. It could be something as simple as a bad ignition coil taking less than 20 minutes to fix, to a cam chain tensioner or cam adjuster unit on the back of one of the cams that is causing this. That's more like a 28 hour job. Maybe even motor mounts but the car is too new for that I'd think. Let us know what it turns out to be.
Hi Jeff,
If it is a engine coil problem is it going to be ongoing for the life of this car? I want to make sure before I commit to buy it. I googled some misfiring problems and turns out a lot of people have had the same problem.