Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 A6 oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 4.2 A6 oil change ?

Hey guys, I just picked up my first audi less than a week ago. And wouldn't you know it, the dealer didn't have an owners manual. What do you guys run for oil/oil filter/air filter? Also, how many quarts does the v8 hold? TIA

Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 PM

6.9 qt I believe. I just did one the other day, but I can't remember actually right off hand.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

8.5 quarts on the newer 4.2 its 9.5 quarts they use 5w30

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Hambone101
Hey guys, I just picked up my first audi less than a week ago. And wouldn't you know it, the dealer didn't have an owners manual. What do you guys run for oil/oil filter/air filter? Also, how many quarts does the v8 hold? TIA

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition.

You can do a search on oil. You'll come across several threads that will give you a good idea of what type of oil ppl use.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

I just changed mine today, i used Mobil 1 10W30; the dealer wanted $140.00 for the oil change............yea right

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 4.2 in my 2000 A8 it takes 7.6 qts. I use synthetic MOBIL 1 - 0W-40, that is a 0 not a type o. and the oil filter is inside a special housing you replace it like the one in an oil burner. just unscrew it with a socket not a filter wrench and pull it out from inside the housing. If you haven't had one of those before. Almost all of the oil and fluid is either synthetic or mineral oil. Do your home work before adding anything.
Also if nobody has told you yet Audi engines are nonclearance with Timing belts so you will need to look into Timing belt, rollers and tensioner replacement. All of the front seals, valvecover gaskets, waterpump, thermostat, every other fluid and filter in the car. Sorry to bring that news to you.

WELCOME to the show! Don't get me wrong I love working on it just kidding I drive it too.

You can go online and purchase a CD rom from Bentleypublishers.com Worth every penny too. about 100.00 it will be a big help. It works best with XP but I have it on Vista.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition.

You can do a search on oil. You'll come across several threads that will give you a good idea of what type of oil ppl use.
Yeah I did a search, but all I could come up with were transmission threads.

Originally Posted by Jackmup
I have a 4.2 in my 2000 A8 it takes 7.6 qts. I use synthetic MOBIL 1 - 0W-40, that is a 0 not a type o. and the oil filter is inside a special housing you replace it like the one in an oil burner. just unscrew it with a socket not a filter wrench and pull it out from inside the housing. If you haven't had one of those before. Almost all of the oil and fluid is either synthetic or mineral oil. Do your home work before adding anything.
Also if nobody has told you yet Audi engines are nonclearance with Timing belts so you will need to look into Timing belt, rollers and tensioner replacement. All of the front seals, valvecover gaskets, waterpump, thermostat, every other fluid and filter in the car. Sorry to bring that news to you.

WELCOME to the show! Don't get me wrong I love working on it just kidding I drive it too.

You can go online and purchase a CD rom from Bentleypublishers.com Worth every penny too. about 100.00 it will be a big help. It works best with XP but I have it on Vista.
Very informative, thank you. I plan on getting a bentley manual very soon. I probably should have elaborated on my car. It's a 2000 A6 4.2L V8 Quattro. I was planning on doing synthetic, due to it's an audi, lol. I've got 105k on the clock right now, and was thinking 5w30, just wasn't sure if the mileage on the car made a difference in stepping up the weight of the oil to 10w30.

As for the timing belt, I'm well aware I'm at the point that it should be replaced. I've got a shop close by that will replace the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, thermostat, and do a complete cooling system flush and fill for about $900. I've already talked to them about this.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

All I have right now is a crappy cell phone pic of the car. Need to get a new camera.
Name:  audi.jpg
Views: 3438
Size:  64.2 KB

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

Very nice! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

car is gorgeous! I recomend (as my mechanic did) 15w50 as it is a performance oil. Of course you need the weather to stay on the warmer side to run it. I use it all year long in new england and never had a problem. Mobil 1 has always gotten me 200k out of my cars. I have a 2.7t but was told the 4.2 had a chain not a belt. Dont get taken at the auto shop!!!! here is a thread from this forum about the 4.2 having a chain or a belt. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=128855 good luck!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 4.2 A6 oil change ?