Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 quatro tranny problems need help

Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Default 4.2 quatro tranny problems need help

transmission will go into reverse only this is the second one that has done this when it first happened had it replaced with a used one and it lasted 6000 miles and now doing the same thing why any help please

Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 AM

I'm assuming you meant WON"t go into reverse and its the second trannie that has done this? Stupid question... are you pushing the button on the shifter while also with your foot on the brake otherwise it sounds like it's Audi dealer time.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mystrodo
I'm assuming you meant WON"t go into reverse and its the second trannie that has done this? Stupid question... are you pushing the button on the shifter while also with your foot on the brake otherwise it sounds like it's Audi dealer time.
I don't think that is what he meant. I am guessing that English is a second language for the original poster. I think he meant to put the word "only" in his original post between the words "will" and "go". With this change the beginning of the post would read "[My]transmission will only go into reverse[.]" While there is no punctuation in the original post, and there are several words missing, I believe the second sentence was meant to say "[T]his is the second [transmission] that has done this [exact same thing]." In translating the third thought I think the original poster was trying to say "[W]hen it happened [the first time I] had [the transmission] replaced with a used one and it lasted 6000 miles[.]" Continuing with translating the original post I believe his next thought was meant to be "[The new transmission is] now doing the same thing [as the original transmission]." Moving on to the original poster's last thought I think he meant write "[Does anyone know] why [this is happening?,] any help please[.]"

If all of my assumptions are correct I think that the original poster meant to convey:

My transmission will only go into reverse. This is the second transmission that has done this exact same thing. When it happened the first time I had the transmission replaced with a used one and it lasted 6000 miles. The new transmission is now doing the same thing as the original transmission. Does anyone know why this is happening?, any help please.

If this is the question, I would suggest that you first check the ATF, then VAGCOM and then consult the dealer.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

Other things to look into:
- did the second transmission (which was bought used) come with any sort of warranty?
- Although the wording is "I replaced with a used one...", was it a shop that performed the swap? If a transmission shop performed indeed the swap, they should be able to scan your car. As Kevin said it already, the car needs to be scanned so you'd find out what exactly is going on. The guys in here can only guess what's happening with your car, based on a such frugal post lacking more information.
- Is the car chipped or modded? The transmissions shouldn't be eaten like that for breakfast. It worked for 6,000 miles, didn't it? Again, you need to have the car scanned to see what's going on.