Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Buy it? or Don't buy it?
Buy It
0%
Run Screaming
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

95 A6Q purchase questions...

Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default 95 A6Q purchase questions...

I am looking that buying a 95 A6Q locally as a commuter but it has more than a few problems... I would really appreciate help on easing my mind about them

#1 - The door mirror glass looks almost cloudy or rusty around the edges and it's some thing that wont scrub off; is there a restoration process for the reflective material on the back or will I just need to replace them? Where can I find heated replacements? (I have only found non heated)

#2 - The radio (Bose-Gamma CC) won't turn on; I checked the underhood fuse but didn't dare check the one on the back of the unit while on a test drive, but I don't think that the fuses are the problem because the security light on the unit lights up (blinks slowly) when the car is on and the 10 disc changer in the trunk functions normally. But the unit itself wont power on. How do I fix this?

#3 - It has a BAD oil leak somewhere on the front of the motor, not when it's running just when it's sitting. The whole splash shroud is full of old caked on oil. I cant pinpoint the leak but the oil fill cap has had a suspicious amount of spillage residue and the normal places seemed dry. My other thought was that the motor didn't like the oil it was being fed, the records say the PO has been letting midas do the changes and it's been getting 5w30 part synthetic when I was under the impression that the 2.8 took 5w40 full synthetic... Maybe it's just weeping the shitty oil? It passed the CO emissions and they will fail you right away if it burns or leaks anything obvious... I am going to talk to the PO's mechanic later this week and see how he can explain it away...

Other info: the car has 225K (how many miles is too many on the 2.8?) on the ODO and had the following done at 196K new heater core, new timing belt & water pump, trans axle mount bushings

It needs a new clutch soon, lots of interior work but mostly tightening hardware and scrubbing out 4 years of grime. Owner wants 2500, he's been trying to sell it for two months, and the exterior needs some work too.

So I'm thinking I will talk him down to 2000 and then subtract half of the quoted repair costs (as long as that doesn't price any of us out of it) does that sound right?

What advice can you offer me about the above issues? Thanks for your time