Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A6 (C4) Aftermarket ATF Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 A6 (C4) Aftermarket ATF Cooler?

Has anyone done this?

I believe my radiator is no longer doing its job.
Both the electric fans aren't working properly the motors seem to be shot (switch/sensor already replaced)
I found an aftermarket aluminium 4 core rad with electric fans that is the same length and height as the factory one, but a different thickness. It doesn't have a built in ATF cooler in it, so I thought I was up 'sh*t creek' but then found a post where someone had mentioned using an aftermarket separate ATF cooler. I found one locally for $100.00 and want to go pick it up tomorrow in prep for swapping out the rad for this new one, and wanted to get a few pointers on the matter.

Right now the trans lines come into the rad at the (US) drivers side of the rad, and seem to be pressed in with some o-ring fittings with a clamp that his held on by a 10mm bolt. I removed one of the bolts but the line won't come out.

Clearly the aftermarket cooler won't have these o-ring fittings on it, so I was thinking about cutting through the metal lines and then clamping hoses on to them to go into the aftermarket ATF cooler. Will this work?
Someone mentioned possibly flaring the metal lines etc.

Any pointers would be great. It's 3am here now, and I'm looking to start the job in the morning at around 9am.

Cheers
Ron

Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Bump!! Hoping to get a quick reply.
Also wanted to know if I can mount the temp sensor into the new radiator.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:41 AM
1st Gear

Had to go ahead and start the job without advice.
I've removed the rad, found that it was full of gunk. Removed the trans lines out of the side, and have capped them. Bought an aftermarket trans cooler, and next weekend I'm going to fabricate brackets to fit the 4 core aluminium rad that I have with the 2 electric fans. I just have to get someone to tap one of the tanks and add in the fitting for the temp switch to turn the fans on.
I've taken vid of the disassembly process.
Will take some vid of the reassembly and fabrication process and post it on youtube and here for anyone else.

Car will certainly not get hot again!