Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 A6 2.4 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 A6 2.4 wont start

My car will not start but it sounds like it is attempting to start. Not sure what the problem is tho. I changed the battery today and it is making the same sound. Seriously in need of help.

https://db.tt/DpshZQ51

Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

Did you change the battery because it made no noise what-so-ever prior to you dropping a new battery in? Was any other service done recently?

All I can hear is the starter turning and no signs of fuel being fed into the engine to start. I'm wondering if something shorted out on you when you swapped the battery. Perhaps it's the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself.

Either way, that battery in there now is good; it's clearly able to crank the starter.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

I am interested in your fix if you have one yet. My 02 A6 won't start either. I pulled the filter this morning and it had fuel in it but after the filter emptied there wasn't much in the supply or discharge lines. I had my daughter turn the key in the ignition while I held a container around the banjo fitting and nothing then either. My guess is the pump relay. The fuel pump fuse is good but when I check voltage at the pump connector I only get 1-2 volts. Does anyone out there know what the correct input voltage to the pump is and where the relay is located?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jd.janson
I am interested in your fix if you have one yet. My 02 A6 won't start either. I pulled the filter this morning and it had fuel in it but after the filter emptied there wasn't much in the supply or discharge lines. I had my daughter turn the key in the ignition while I held a container around the banjo fitting and nothing then either. My guess is the pump relay. The fuel pump fuse is good but when I check voltage at the pump connector I only get 1-2 volts. Does anyone out there know what the correct input voltage to the pump is and where the relay is located?
My fix is kind of mind blowing. I had a buddy hook it up to his scanner and it showed an anti-theft code which we deleted an my car started fine. The battery in one of my keys died so I have been sticking the key into the door to unlock it, and my wife uses the key remote that still works. Not sure if that will help you, but I hope it does.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the idea, I will try replacing the remote battery tomorrow. I can't figure this one out, I don't have any power at the fuel pump fuse. I guess if it thinks an attempt at theft was made then it may disconnect power there. Do I need a Vag-Com to reset my codes or will disconnecting the battery over night clear them?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

I definitely known disconnecting the battery will not delete the code, but it may erase it so that it is not showing. Not sure what scanner device to use that will allow you to erase codes... I don't have one been contemplating getting one but never have

Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Another thing that will keep the car from starting is a failed cam position sensor. This is a known failure point on the 2.8 (you state you have a 2.4 are you sure that is correct?). You can pick up a used one or a new one and it is trivial to change. It is on the rear of the left side valve cover. Get a VAG-COM scan and there is a good chance it will point to the problem.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Ok, here it is another weekend chasing gremlins. I replaced my fuel pump relay and still can't start the car. I went back to the fuse and it has no power across it. So I pulled the relay again and the connector on the fuel pump. I then jumped the relay and checked power at the fuse and found 11.6v, hey, hey, making progress. I also found power on both sides of the ECU fuse which on had power on one side prior to the jumper. I also checked power at the pump connector and found 3.4~4.6v in stead of the .04v. I ordered another relay and pump should be here by Tuesday. My guess is the pump went bad, and fried the relay without blowing the fuse. Seems odd but possible. Can anyone tell me if the approx. 4v is the correct voltage for the pump?