Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 control arms on an A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 control arms on an A6

I have an 04' A6 Avant 3.0 Quattro (85k). I just replaced all 8 control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar end links (Meyle Kit), and front struts. However,
I realized that the Meyle HD control arm kit I purchased (8E0498520) from FCP Euro was not quite right. I called them twice and their technicians assured me this was the correct kit. However, my mechanic said that all control arms were identical except for the lower fronts , which had slightly smaller bushings where it connects to the strut. They ended up installing them anyways with spacers to make up for the discrepancy. Unfortunately, they did not tell me this until I came to pick up the car. Now, the kicker is, I called ECS Tuning and they said that kit was for the A4, not the A6 and that I should have purchased the Meyle HD 4B3498510CMY kit.

Should I replace the kit, or leave it the way it is? It drives like new, and I don't hear any rubbing or squeaks. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If I have to redo it, I will do it myself this time.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Sponsor

The 4B3498510CMY kit is the one you do need. If anything I would just replace the lower control arms since that's probably the only difference.

Most kits are very similar.

Jason

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

I was afraid someone would say that. Well, is it bad to drive it the way I have it? I know it isn't 100% correct, but I'd hate to spend another $200 if I don't have to.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Sponsor

What exactly do you mean that you added spacers on the bushings? Like washers? I can't picture what you mean.

Those lower control arm bushings handle a lot of load so I definitely wouldn't want to sacrifice something that important.

Jason

Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
What exactly do you mean that you added spacers on the bushings? Like washers? I can't picture what you mean.

Those lower control arm bushings handle a lot of load so I definitely wouldn't want to sacrifice something that important.

Jason
I can post a pic later, but yes the mechanic installed washers on both sides of the bushing so it would fit into the bottom of the strut. This is the only location where the washers were added. Everything else fits perfect. Had I done the installation (which in hindsight I should have) I would have just returned the kit and purchased the proper one. But now that everything is installed, I'd hate to have to redo it all. Then again, if the bushing fails I may have to do redo it anyways.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

I think you need to determine what kind of car you drive. For me, my A6 is 12 going on 13 years old now. It has slowly moved from my baby status to transportation and now with the hail damage, parked car jumping in from of my car damage, leaking cam seals, a few small areas of rust are developing and a drivers seat that has seen many better days... it has moved closer to beater status.

As such, my car no longer gets the latest and greatest anything. It now gets whatever oil is on sale, whichever junk yard has the part for less and washing it still happens, but maybe I don't vacuum it at the same time.

So the point of my pointless post is to get you to think. Is your car your baby, just transportation or a beater. Do you want your suspension to be "right" or "it works". (assuming it's even safe).

Don't get me wrong I still love my car as much as when I first bought it, maybe more. But it knows, and I know a newer Golf TDI are in my future.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
I think you need to determine what kind of car you drive. For me, my A6 is 12 going on 13 years old now. It has slowly moved from my baby status to transportation and now with the hail damage, parked car jumping in from of my car damage, leaking cam seals, a few small areas of rust are developing and a drivers seat that has seen many better days... it has moved closer to beater status.

As such, my car no longer gets the latest and greatest anything. It now gets whatever oil is on sale, whichever junk yard has the part for less and washing it still happens, but maybe I don't vacuum it at the same time.

So the point of my pointless post is to get you to think. Is your car your baby, just transportation or a beater. Do you want your suspension to be "right" or "it works". (assuming it's even safe).

Don't get me wrong I still love my car as much as when I first bought it, maybe more. But it knows, and I know a newer Golf TDI are in my future.
You have a good point. Considering I've only had this car for a year now, its still my baby. And the fact that I came to the forum to ask, means this is bugging me and probably will continue to bug me until it is right. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Good news! Nick from FCP Groton just called and offered to swap out the two lower straight arms for the proper ones. The correct arms should be on their way soon and I will do the installation myself this time to makes sure it all fits. Thank goodness for this forum and thanks to all of you guys and FCP for helping sort this out. Much appreciated!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aaceve7
Good news! Nick from FCP Groton just called and offered to swap out the two lower straight arms for the proper ones. The correct arms should be on their way soon and I will do the installation myself this time to makes sure it all fits. Thank goodness for this forum and thanks to all of you guys and FCP for helping sort this out. Much appreciated!
Get some new bolts for the control arms and torque the bolts with the weight resting on the car.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Get some new bolts for the control arms and torque the bolts with the weight resting on the car.
Gotcha. Are these TTY bolts? and is there anything else I should know when installing the new LCAs? I have the Bentley manual with the torque specs, but if there is anything else I should know that is not in the Bentley manual I'd appreciate the heads up. Probably won't get around to doing this until early next week when the new ones arrive.

Quick Reply: A4 control arms on an A6