Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Drivers door sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 - Drivers door sensor

98 A6 quattro -

My door sensor on the drivers door is not working. When I open the door the interior lights don't turn on, but if I open another door the interior lights do turn on. Also on the display will not show if that door is open and the car is running but, if I open another door with the car running the display shows if other doors are open. Any ideas what to check?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear

Search and yee shall find.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

The switch is located in the latch mechanism inside the door. To get it from a dealer you need tobuy the entire assembly which is about $230 I found a used assembly on ebay for $45 when mine went bad a few months ago and so far its working fine.

It is a bit of a pita to change out but not terribly hard

Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Pretty good quote on the latch. It's 4B1-837-015-H for 194.25 and in stock. Plus about 9-11 dollars shipping depending on where you are. If you are interested in a new one please let us know. Thank you, Jeff.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Very common occurence, replace the latch assembly and you will be good to go. If you need a used part option, Bryan at Tullin Concepts would be able to help you as well.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

The motor the unlocks and locks the door is also not working, I have to use the key to lock and unlock the drivers door. Would changing the latch assembly fix this issue or will I need another part?

Also, on my passenger door I have to pull on the handle twice to get the door to open, would changing the latch assemble be the fix for that issue as well?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

I would say yes and yes do a quick check to see that you do not have any broken wires in the area where the harness goes from the chasis to the door (pull the rubber boot back and give a firm pull on the individual wires to see if any are broken) and if not more than likely the latch mechanism is bad the lock motor, door switch and the door latch are all included in the latch assembly.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

I will check to see I don't have any loose wires. Thanks

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Just ordered a used latch assembly. I called a place to swap it out and they quoted me 3 hours. Is that a lot for this job (seems like it)?

Also, if I did just do it myself, two questions. 1) How bad could I mess it up (worst case scenario) and 2) How difficult is this swap really. Some places say it is no problem. Other warn about clips, wires, removing the lock and whatnot being an issue. I don't do much work on cars so swapping out the turn signal relay and, more recently, the ABS module, were a big deal.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DtTall
Just ordered a used latch assembly. I called a place to swap it out and they quoted me 3 hours. Is that a lot for this job (seems like it)?

Also, if I did just do it myself, two questions. 1) How bad could I mess it up (worst case scenario) and 2) How difficult is this swap really. Some places say it is no problem. Other warn about clips, wires, removing the lock and whatnot being an issue. I don't do much work on cars so swapping out the turn signal relay and, more recently, the ABS module, were a big deal.

Thanks!
It is a pita but I think 3 hours is excessive I had never done one on an Audi and it took me about an hour and a half start to finish. its just tough because you almost have to go by feel as you cannot see much in there. you remove all visible phillips head scews in the door panel and then just lift up on the panel to remove then you will have to get the wires unplugged and the metal rods unhooked be carefull the plastic clips that hold them are easy to break. once you have all of those things done the hardest part is getting the outside latch loose so you can get the latch to slide down out there is a plate that locks the outside latch in place located on the inside of the door. you need to pry up the keeprs and slide the plate to the side this lets the outside latch move enough to let you get the rod for the keylock loose from the old latch assembly. then its just the reverse to reinstall. no special tools needed except for the torx socket needed to unbolt the latch from the door.

Quick Reply: A6 - Drivers door sensor