Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Engine Control Module Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Default A6 Engine Control Module Replacement

I have found a possible used engine control module replacement for my A6, 1998 quattro wagon. (manufacture date of 05/97). Dealer is quoting 1800+ (not including labor) to replace this part. ouch.

What are the chances that I could replace this part on my own and still have a working vehicle. Could I just replace it and then have the dealer program it to work in the car. I've searched and haven't found any good posts on people doing this sort of thing so maybe I'm dreaming. Let me know.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 AM
SSn
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 Engine Control Module Replacement

What? This is honestly the first time I'm hearing about programming ECM... I know you can program it, but shouldn't it work just plugged in?
I've replaced ECM's for an non OBd cars, worked just fine and those can be probrammed as well. Search your local craigslist and eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...spagenameZWD1V
This one looks like mine =)
Depends on what engine do you have, on 2.8 it's located on the left side right below the windshield under the plastic cover. It's sealed in a waterproof box which is held together by 4 screws I think. Manual shows that to remove the forth -non visible screw- you should remove wipers and bottom panel of the glass, but it's glued on, so I did not do that, I was able to sneak under it with my socket wrench. Inside the box you unclip the ECM, and write down the number on it. You want to buy the unit with the same number and plug it instead of the old one. I bet it will work just fine. That's what I would do if my needed replacement.

Even if there is need in some programming which I doubt... you can always buy the vag-com software and do everything yourself. Dont pay those crazy $$$ to the stupid dealer.

by the way, who says you need a new one?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Sounds easy enough. My a6 is a 1998 per the title but manufactured in 1997 so I found that the ecm/ecu is underneath the carpet on the passenger side and not in the engine compartment area. I found a used one and purchased it. I also went to the local library and found the following instructions, which I will post here. They won't have the pictures, but after you read them, let me know if you still think I need the VAG 1551 scan tool and if I need to "re-code ECM with appropriate coding" and how I would figure that out. Here are the instructions:

NOTES : • By disconnecting the ECM, the permanent voltage supply is disconnected and therefore the learning values, DTC memory and readiness code are erased. • If uneven idle occurs after the ECM is installed, let the engine idle for a few minutes so that the learning process can be carried out. If the ECM is replaced, carry out the following work steps in the specified sequence : Switch ignition on. • Connect VAG 1551 scan tool and operate until control module identification is displayed, See: Testing and Inspection. ECM identification and the coding are shown on the display: 8D0906266 2.81 V6/2V MPI OBD2 DO1 Coding 09042 WSC 06388 • Print out ECM identification and compare coding to table of coding variations. • Press arrow button. Indicated on display: Rapid data transfer HELP Select function XX • Switch ignition off. • Remove faulty ECM. • Install new ECM. • Re-code ECM with appropriate coding. (what does this mean? perhaps it means just letting the "learning process take place " which it mentions at the end of the instructions?) REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE : • Switch ignition off. • Remove cover for lower right A-pillar. • Push back floor covering in right front footwell. • Remove screws from cover for electronics box. • Carefully disconnect upper and lower covers from electronics box. • Carefully remove crossmember -3- with attached parts. CAUTION : Do not disconnect the harness connector from the ECM for 30 sec. after the ignition is switched off and do not connect with ignition on. • Remove screws that mount ECM to electronics box. • Remove ECM and disconnect harness connector. INSTALLATION PROCEDURE : CAUTION : Do not disconnect the harness connector from the ECM for 30 sec. after the ignition is switched off and do not connect with ignition on. • Connect harness connector to ECM. • Install ECM to bracket in electronics box with mounting screws. • Install crossmember -3-. • Carefully slide lower cover into both openings of electronics box and let it engage. • Carefully connect lower cover into both openings of electronics box. • Install both covers of electronics box. • Cover electronics box with carpet. • Reinstall A-pillar cover. NOTE : If engine idle is uneven after the installation, let the engine idle a few minutes so that the learning process can be carried out.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Check your state's laws regarding emissions equipment. Some states require that dealers/maufacturers cover such equipment for the lifetime of the car-- I made the case to Daimler Chrysler that the ECU on my Jeep Cherokee was inherently an emmission part, and got a new one free.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
SSn
1st Gear

That's different thing under the carpet... I have one there too, or is it different thing under the hood? [>:]
Well, anyway which one you think you need... I'm 100% sure no programming is needed. See, when you disconnect the battery all ecu memory is lost. There are batteries in the cluster, but it does not store memory for the ecu.
The scan tool they say to use it to mess with your old one. You don't need that, ecu will ajust engine operation itself while ideling.

Just get a new one and plug it in.
I'll check my manual on that for you.
ps/ car build year is always a year younger then the model year. My 98 is manufactured in 97 as well.... It's just the thing car dealers do to sell better. %) the make the car and sell it as next years model... I wonder why don't they make it a 20 years ahead...

Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
SSn
1st Gear

I was unable to find anything about tha stuff under the carpet... My manual is stupid. I don't know, may be your's different... Make sure you are replacing the ecm tohugh %)

You don't need unstructions for that, just find the old one, unplug it and plug the new one it. Disconnect battery before unplugging the old one.

Here are some pictures that might help you. (images are .png, not gif, download and rename them to see on your computer)

Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 AM

Thanks to all! I recieved the replacement ECM today. Disconnected the old one which was located under the carpet on the passenger side and plugged in the new one. Works great and the engine light went off... My next project is to replace the central locking pump... I hope its just as easy. Thanks for the help! Saved over $1800 on this one alone.