Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Don't be an idiot, buy the '01.
12.50%
The '02 is a better car and may be worth the leap of faith.
87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

A6 purchase: older/lower miles, or newer/higher miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Default A6 purchase: older/lower miles, or newer/higher miles

I can probably guess consensus on this, but, have two cars on my A6 4l2L shortlist. Both were taken as trades and offerred by reputable new car dealers, neither has warranty.

2001, ming blue over tan, 82K miles. Scuff on driver's door, otherwise paint and interior near perfect. Engine ticks a bit, and it doesn't disapate after running for a while- I couldn't tell whether it was lifters/tappets or just the fuel injectors. Drives strong and tight. Dash displayis good. Bone stock except for window tint, four prior owners, No service history, clean carfax. No warranty. Tried to negotiate t-belt service but dealer wouldn't budge on that. Original list $14,995. Negotiated to:
$14,000.

2002, black over tan. 102K miles. Exterior and interior immaculate. Has some desirable '02 traits- paddle shifters, visible dual exhaust, updated dash, etc. Bone stock, dash display is good ,two owners, clean carfax. Full service history at dealers, timing belt service completed at 97K. No warranty. Original list $13,995. Negotiated to:
$12,000.

Gotta say that I'm leaning toward the latter. Wisdom dictates always go with the fewest miles that you can afford, but realistically its only 20K difference-- about one year's worth of driving. So I'm thinking its more the psychological hangup of 100K miles. The difference in book value is large, with the '02 being substantially more valuable. Anyone agree with me?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Default RE: A6 purchase: older/lower miles, or newer/higher miles

My first experience with Audi was the 01 a6. Other than normal maintenance it has been great

Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks. I've read about a few shortcomings in the early 4.2s that may have been addressed in '02, including leaking cam seals, a weak point in the trans, and some front suspension parts prone to early wear (tie rods and arms)...but I'm not sure of the extent to which that is true.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

Normally, I'd say go lower miles and older (that's what I did -- bought an '01 2.7T with 28k miles a year ago), but in this case, I'd go with the 4.2. The fact that the timing belt was done offsets a big chunk of the cost of a higher mileage car. The 4.2 engine is bulletproof so that helps your cause. Also sounds like the car has fewer issues and a lower cost.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Thanks! They are both 4.2s, but I get your meaning.
I'll hope to move to a more reasonably-fresh car next round, or else to a hybrid if my commute doubles again. But this transition is just a stopgap measure to deal with challenges of a new job. Longer commute and I don't want to continue to feed my 4.7L Grand Cherokee...and I don't want to press my 928 into daily-driver service.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 PM

I would go with the latter. Something about the number of owners pluse no service history turns me off.
The fact that the newer car has also had the timing belt replaced is favourable.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: smtcapecod

Thanks! They are both 4.2s, but I get your meaning.
I'll hope to move to a more reasonably-fresh car next round, or else to a hybrid if my commute doubles again. But this transition is just a stopgap measure to deal with challenges of a new job. Longer commute and I don't want to continue to feed my 4.7L Grand Cherokee...and I don't want to press my 928 into daily-driver service.
lmao thats what I drive and the thing sucks through gas like nothing else. Im looking at a 2.7T right now. cant wait to own it

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear

Your not going to get much better mileage with a 2.7t JoshPU. What you will get is a lot more maintenance if you dont take care of it. SMTCAPECOD....go with the '02. I say this because it has fewer owners, service records, is in better shape, and timing belt service has been done etc. You will not be dissapointed in the performance and luxury department either way you go, but seeing that the '02 has been taken care of, who cares about the mileage. As SBOROguy said..they are bulletproof and will run a long time with care. You will spend more $$ and heartache with a machine with less miles but poor maintenance than you will with a higher mileage car with all the service religiously done. As you are new to AUDI (assuming), we would all like you to have a great experience and not feel like yo made a bad decision. The reason I say this, as I have been there. I bought an A4 with no service records etc and for my firsat AUDI it was a nightmare. I stayed away from the brand for 3 years. I am back and I love it and that is due to making a good decision on buying a car with excellent service records and 1 owner. Good Luck...!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Yes, new to Audi, long-time Porsche addict (928s mainly). I'm opting for a 4.2L specifically because I realize (given my prior VR4 ownerships) that turbos and pressurized intakes and the manual trans that makes them fun due bring additional maintenance items into the equation.
Right now, I can't afford/don't want to deal with my tendencies to modify...and then to fix what I upgraded and chase boost leaks and replace the slipping clutch and oh god one of the turbos has death whine and the other is puking oil...
If I had more financial freeboard, I'd opt for the TT for the fun factor and the power that can be wrung out, but for now I have to opt for the mule. Appears to be a fun mule, anyway. Just wish I could find more comparative information on the dozen or so exhaust options and a few other modest personalizations I'll be undertaking...thanks for hte help and continued input!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

I vote for the 2002. Even with higher miles, the t-belt is already done, you'll have the tip shift buttons on the steering wheel, an in-dash 6-disc changer, sounds like the body is in better shape, and overall the car was well cared for.

No brainer.