Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Steering Rack replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear
Default A6 Steering Rack replacement DIY

Does anyone have a DIY for replacing the steering rack on an A6 ('02 2.7t quattro, if that makes a difference). I found one for an A4 that looks like it should be about the same for the A6 but just want to confirm. Has anyone replaced their rack using the A4 instructions? Are there any Gotchas I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Old 07-13-2009, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

i'd probably just go with the a4 diy. bob, what is the reason you're replacing the rack?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

I'm replacing it due to internal seal failures. I have PS fluid dripping out of both tie rod boots. Lots of fun....

Bob

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

The A4 write up does not work. I'm currently stuck trying to get the banjo bolts out of the bottom of the rack. There is NO WAY to get to them from below. They are blocked by the frame rail. The rear one needs to come off first as it is blocking access to the front one. The front one I have disconnected in the engine compartment which may be all I need, but the rear one does not have an intermediate connector that I can undo, so it HAS to come off while the rack is in the car. A rachet hits the frame and cannot quite get to the bolt. I think a 3/8s breaker bar might do the trick but my breaker bar is broken! So, off to the tool store I go!

Edit - back from the tool store with a shiny new 3/8s breaker bar and that did the trick! Now, for the final two bolts and out it should come. Somehow, though, I don't think the installation (lining up all the bolts) will be as "easy" as the deinstallation.

More Editting - the rack is out!!!! That third bolt is a real bear. I wound up using the 10 mm socket backed by a 3" extension, then a short wobbly extension, then a 6" wobbly then a 12" extension. I fed the assembly up between the transmission and the exhaust. There is a slot in the heat shield that you pass the socket up through then you are almost there. From the wheel well (I removed the entire front suspension to get it out of the way), I fed my hand up-side-down underneath the rack and felt, with my fingers, the head of the bolt, then I aligned the socket to the bolt and gave a little twist and it was on! Of course, the elapsed time for this was about two hours, but I never gave up and I finally got it. Small hands would do wonders for this task!

Having done that, I now realize that there is a much easier way: when you disconnect the steering wheel, pull the boot off into the car. You have to do this eventually to get the rack out. Do it early and you wind up with an easy route to the bolt: through the opening left by the boot! I'll try this method when I reassemble the car tomorrow (if the rack gets here) and I'll update this post!

Bob

Last edited by bob martin; 07-14-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 PM
3rd Gear

Great stuff, Bob. You can put together a DIY.
Thanks anyway for the info. My boot is torn, so eventually my rack will need replacement.
keep us posted.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

nice bob. my rack is loose. i think the backlash needs to be adjusted. do you know where i can access this?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

So, I ordered a rack from Power Steering Pros. I paid for overnuight shipping. Only $295! The rack arrives at 8:45 am all the way from San Diego, California!

Only, it's the wrong rack.

It seems there are two different Servotronic modules for this car. One has a 14 mm hole, the other a 24 mm hole (all sizes approximate). They sent me one with a 14 mm hole. I need the one with a 24 mm hole. Guess what? They can "get it to me by next Thursday". Oh, I'm not interested? Well, in that case just ship the rack back AT MY EXPENSE and they will be gald to refund me the PURCHASE PRICE, not the overnight shipping!!!!!

And when I start to complain, the guy hangs up!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, the other web site is the same web engine and probably the same company with the same mistakes and bad policies as this one. Be forewarned: stay very far away from these "people".

Bob

Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
So, I ordered a rack from Power Steering Pros. I paid for overnuight shipping. Only $295! The rack arrives at 8:45 am all the way from San Diego, California!

Only, it's the wrong rack.

It seems there are two different Servotronic modules for this car. One has a 14 mm hole, the other a 24 mm hole (all sizes approximate). They sent me one with a 14 mm hole. I need the one with a 24 mm hole. Guess what? They can "get it to me by next Thursday". Oh, I'm not interested? Well, in that case just ship the rack back AT MY EXPENSE and they will be gald to refund me the PURCHASE PRICE, not the overnight shipping!!!!!

And when I start to complain, the guy hangs up!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, the other web site is the same web engine and probably the same company with the same mistakes and bad policies as this one. Be forewarned: stay very far away from these "people".

Bob

Yes, be wary. I bought mine from carsteering.com and it was the wrong one as well. The Audi part number stamped on the part doesn't even exist as per the Audi dealership! I call teh company and they tried telling me that when the steering racks are remanufactured sometimes the company doing it stamps a different part number on the rack. I'm like...what'?!?! you can't do that! I even gave them the proper Audi part number for my car and they could'nt find it in "their system".

Anyways, i sent it back requesting a full refund. I may have to fight them since it was slightly past 30 days but if I must I'll have my cc fight them instead of me and dispute the charge.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Power Steering Pros sent me a replacement rack with the Servotronic module already in it. I have the rack in the car. The third bolt is impossible to get back in and the car swallowed it so I am going to have to do without it. The banjo bolts are also impossible to get back in. The car has eaten one of those plus several crush washers so now I have to go to the dealership to get some spare bolts and crush washers. After that, I think I am going to have to undo everything I have done to this point, bring the rack partially out into the wheel well and I'll connect the banjo bolts while the holes are out where I can get to them.

Otherwise, I have to drop the exhaust system so I can get the heat sheilds off....

What a pain!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Old 07-17-2009, 07:14 AM
2nd Gear

It's in!!!!!!! Tough job but not impossible. I'll do a DIY so you can learn from my mistakes, mostly having to do with a gap between a heat sheild and the body that liked to swallow bolts......

Bob

Quick Reply: A6 Steering Rack replacement DIY