Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 vs BMW 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Default A6 vs BMW 5 series

Ok guys... Just posted same thing on a BMW site I regulary visit.

I owned a BMW E36 328i and sold it. I then purchased a VW Golf TDI and I hate it. I'm now looking towards going back to a nicer sedan and was at first going to go towards a 5 series BMW but really like the looks of the A6 and the thought of AWD. My last bimmer sat all winter while I drove my truck. I really like the thought of having a car I can drive in several inches of snow with now problem.

I used to get 28mpg with my 328 and was hoping to be close with an A6 but while reading I see that is more than optomistic. I am looking for decent mpg (~25) as I drive 30-40k miles per year. I like luxury and options and would like to know how the Audis compare.

Thoughts??? Experiences???

Thanks
Jared

Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 vs BMW 5 series

If you have that choice I would def go for the 5 series!

1. Much more reliable
2. Much less maintanance required for it
3. Resell value stays up. In other words, you'll be able to sell say a BMW 5 series with 50,000 miles for much more than an Audi A6 with 50,000
4. 5 series handling is better then the A6. The steering wheel is more accurate and tougher if you like that.
5. iDrive and lots of other amazing features.
6. You can get an all wheel drive 5 series too
7. In my opinion looks better then the A6 in terms of exterior, but ye the Audi does have better interior
8. Both are great cars, both great companies, its a matter of taste.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

I agree with Fallout in that it is a matter to taste. We also own a 3 series BMW and both of us agree that the A6 is a far more enjoyable car to drive overall. Now, when it comes to real sporty driving, the 3 series shines. My A6 Avant Quat 2.8l gets about 22-23mpg hwy, I drive 65miles a day to and from work and drive on average 65mph. There are 5 stoplights each way. The original window sticker says avg. 24mpg hwy for my 2000.

The 6 beat the 5 series in Car and Driver comparisons more times than not, but, resale of a BMW would be better. Cost of to maintain would be about the same, the A6 a little more because of the timing belt vs chain.

But in the end, preference. I prefer the interior of an Audi, but again preference.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Just for the record I was looking at about an '02 in each model. While I understand that the bimmer would hold its value more, it would also be more expensive now. I am definitely leaning towards the 5er.

I am suprised to hear that the bimmer would handle better. Would a 530 compete speed wise with an A6 TT?

Thanks
Jared

Old 12-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Ozz
1st Gear

If you like dynamic driving and money is not a question - go for the Bimmer !!!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 PM

Money is an option, that's why I'm looking at an 02 : ) But you can pick up a 02 bimmer for a good price if you are patient. If money was not an option I'd buy the new BMW diesel that I read about in my Diesel Power magazine. 530d or something like that.

I'm very surprised at everyone's response. I really thought I'd be hearing a lot more pushing me towards the A6.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jnyost

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Just for the record I was looking at about an '02 in each model. While I understand that the bimmer would hold its value more, it would also be more expensive now. I am definitely leaning towards the 5er.

I am suprised to hear that the bimmer would handle better. Would a 530 compete speed wise with an A6 TT?

Thanks
Jared
oh lol, think completely turns everything around now that ur getting a used 02 model cuz lol

1. Audi will be cheaper for you
2. 02 A6 looks better than the 02 5 seires and has MUCH better interior
3. and i dont thing the 02 5 series have idrive and all that good stuff. However, the 7 series does have idrive i know for sure cuz my bro has it

lol

Old 12-19-2006, 02:28 AM
1st Gear

well i was in the market 1st for a 2002 bmw 540 but since i commute everyday its not tha best at mpg i chose my a4 for tha size an its features which i thot were better but here compare:

2002 audi a6 http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ov...i&model=A6

2002 bmw 5-series http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ov...model=5-Series

Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

a bit of topic, but just an FYI: I've been thinking about switching to a different car lately, and the best on the used car market is the A8, that is if you don't factor in the exotics. So if I HAD to pick a car to drive a lot every day, I'd get a 2004 A8L. But for now, I drive a 2001 A6 2.7T Quattro... which coincidentally, blows by 330's, 530s' and even 540s' on a daily basis. Especially when the road gets slippery and the bimmers' asses get to sliding around. Yes, I too love the way the bimmer looks and handles, but you can make the A6 do all the tricks of a 540. You cannot - nomatter how much money you got- get the 540 to do what an A6 was born to do.
and oh yeah, shame on you people for even bringing this up!

Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

My .02 says buy a 4.2 liter A6 Sport..Better equipped than the 540, better handling (AWD with ESP) than the 540, better styling than the 540, and cheaper than the 540. Yes, I do like 540's and considered one but for the price and what you get for the $$, A6 was the obvious choice. MPG will be 15-22. Maintenance will be the same dough over time. Re-Sale will also compare. Now the A6 2.7t and the 525,528,530 class..Well, I don't know the pro's and con's. Just from my point of view, if you are concerned about MPG, price and reliablity and want 0 problems...Start looking at Acura and Lexus in those years. This will prolly get flamed but we all now the reliability and bang for your buck is a pro with those manufacturers. I have owned cars throughout those mentioned and they all are different. Depends on what your after.

Quick Reply: A6 vs BMW 5 series