Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS ESP light ON and OFF - What else i can do???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Default ABS ESP light ON and OFF - What else i can do???

Hi guys,

Here is my problem on my 03 3.0 quattro A6.
The ABS and ESP light comes on every 2nd time i start the car. If it comes on when i start i stays on until i turn it off. When i start the car and the light isn't t on, then it will come on within 1min.

I have read a little about it and i have checked my brake lights ( they are working OK ) i have cleaned abs sensors.

What else can i do before taking the car to the mechanic???

Btw: ABS light dosen't come with Brake light so it is not ABS module problem

Last edited by kupiec79; 09-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Not sure, but if you can find someone w/ a VAG-COM, it would be a good start to have your codes pulled

Old 09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
2nd Gear

Do a search on the ABS control module they go bad I think someone has a fix for them.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Yeah i guess i ll get it scaned with VAG tuesday and c whats cousing this probblem.

What if Alligment is off, would this couse the lights to come on? My car is pulling to the right after new tires and brakes were installed 3 month ago.

Last edited by kupiec79; 09-05-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

My ABS light is on as well but the ESP light stays off entirely. On cold mornings my ABS light stays off until warmed up. I am looking at things it could be too.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem with my 2003 A6. This started about 2-3 years ago. Both lights still come on once in awhile and then go off, but I have not been able to find out what the cause was. Each time I took it in to Audi, the lights would go off and they told me there were no codes and everything was fine, so I am lost at what the cause is.

From what I have read, it may be the ABS module. This is a problem with this car from what I hear. I researched on-line and found a place that would do a refurb of the ABS module (remove it from you car and send it out) for $289.00 with a life-time warranty. The company is called ATE (www.autoecu.com).

Good luck and let me know if you find out the cause.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Finally thanks to your help and visiting few shops i got the probblem diagnosed.

I took my car to local German Center and they serviced the car for previous owner ( lucky me ) and here was they told me:
The ABS module is sending the code that front right abs sensor is bad, the previous owner got it replaced and nothing changed. So they took it to Audi dealer, same think, got it scaned, replaced and nothing changed.
She came back to German Center and they find out that the ABS module is bad. Usually when the module goes bad the ABS and Brake light come on. In this case is sending misleading information due to internal problem.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

Typically when the ABS module is bad, you should get a communication error. Ask them to provide the actual code numbers if they have it.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 AM

Hi folks I've finally got the true final answer for almost all around here.
Please try!

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=11

Here you are!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Either your brake lights bad you have the wrong bulb in or you need to replace your brakes. If none of those abs has went bad but im pretty sure its the above first mentioned three

Quick Reply: ABS ESP light ON and OFF - What else i can do???