Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light on and Brake light blinking

Old 10-01-2005, 01:23 AM
mig
1st Gear
Default ABS light on and Brake light blinking

So I'm on the highway today and I take the car up to 80MPH, and all of a sudden the ABS light turns on (solid) and the BRAKE light next to it starts blinking. My rotors are being changed on monday (since the rotors the car has now are oxidated), this is from when I bought the car at the auction house. Anyway, I figured the ABS light being on means that the ABS is off, turning the car off, pumping the break and turning the car back on turns off the light, and so far its only happened twice while on the highway at around 80MPH. Is this something to worry about? I am going to be making a 100mile trip tomorrow, is it safe to take it and keep on driving with these lights on?

Awaiting a reply.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: ABS light on and Brake light blinking

Yes, its safe to drive with the light one. The ABS light is amber, so it means 'warning' and the blicking reb brake light means 'alert', something is wrong with your brakes. I have a blown ABS ECU that I have yet to get replaced. Its been blinking and beeping at me for weeks and 1000's of kms, I just haven't had time to take it in.

Basically, you have NO ABS. Not having ABS is never usually a problem, as you still have full braking capability without. You will notice a change IF you drive under slippery conditions, as you will have decreased control if you apply the brakes full on and continuous.

Legal Disclaimer: I don't advocate driving without ABS, I deffer to the owners manual. Do what it says.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

My ABS light came on solid - was also a bad ECU - cost $1,000 to replace.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

HOLD UP!!! The blinking red "BRAKE" light means get into a shop ASAP. There is a serious fault which will adversely affect the operation of the brake system. You are playing Russian Roulette every time you hit the brakes, or drive the car at all. (EXAMPLE: Your fluid level could be too low to properly supply the system with pressure. It could have gotten low by low pads & rotors or a leak or both.) You SHOULD NOT drive the car unless you have absolutely no alternative. The solid amber "ABS" light does mean that you don't have ABS, which is not a big deal, you will still be able to stop. But the flashing BRAKE light is very serious.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

RTFM

Blink red is always on when ABS is out. You are not playing roulette. Have you any idea how these systems work and how much backup there is? Your car also has two seperate brake circuits, with two wheels on each so that if one fails, you have the other. If you are worried about fluid level, CHECK IT. If you have a leak in a brake line, trust me, you will know it, cause you will step on the brake the peddle will go to the floor. Worn pads and rotors i guess would cause a slow fluid drop (to a point) as the calibers require more as the pistons moved out, but the system is designed to have enough fluid operate the system with no pad left, and metal on metal.

You should also test you emergency brakes regularily as well. These systems are FULL MANUAL and independent and do not rely on and brake fluid.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

I too have the solid ABs light on and the blinking brake light, and "FootIntheGrille" is right it doesn't mean the brake is out it just means that you don't have ABS, just take it easy while driving under under slippery conditions.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

True, the BRAKE light comes on with ABS failure. But they should both come on solid if it is just an ABS failure, not flashing.

"Brake system warning lights illuminate to alert the driver to various brake system conditions and are usually located on the instument cluster.
Each time the vehicle is started, the ABS control module performs a diagnostic self-check of the ABS system. During this self-check the ABS warning light (K47) in the dash panel insert (J285) will illuminate for a short period of time (up to six seconds). After the self-check has completed the ABS warning light will go out.
If a malfunction is detected within the anti-lock braking system during the diagnostic self-check, the ABS warning light will illuminate and remain ON and ABS will be turned OFF, until the cause of the malfunction is repaired. How ever the conventional braking system will remain fully operational.
The brake warning light (K118) will illuminate if the brake fluid level becomes low or if the parking brake is engaged."

Information provided by:
Handling Control Systems Design and Function Self-Study Program - Audi of America
ESP Electronic Stability Program Design and Funtion Self-Study Program - Audi of America

Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Kewl, like the quote. But, it only mentions the Brake warning light for low fluid or emergency brake. It doesn't indicate under which conditions it flashes.

I suspect that the flashing brake light is tied to the ABS light. This, along with the audible 3 beep warning, gives redundancy to the ABS light. That is, you still know there is a serious problem in the event the ABS light bulb was burnt out.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:18 AM
1st Gear

At work, I had the chance to check two owner's manuals for A6's. One was a 1998, and the other was a 2000. Audi even said in both books that the BRAKE light and the beeps are indications of a serious problem. The ABS light indicates the ABS is not functioning, and that the rear wheels could lock up under harder braking, sending the car into a skid. To drive your vehicle safely and carefully to the nearest authorized repair center. If you feel unsafe driving, have it towed in. I believe it was page 133 for 1998, and page 135 for 2000.

There is a table in the ESP book that explains: ESP/ASR solid, ABS solid and BRAKE solid = ABS failure. The only light that they explain flashing is the ESP, which means ESP is active and intervening on your driving. ESP failure = ESP solid, ABS solid, BRAKE off.

I was always trained that the BRAKE light being solid meant that your brakes need service/parking brake is on, and flashing was a serious malfunction that needs immediate attention. The auto indusrty chose flashing to mean a serious fault because it catches your eye more easily.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

When you guys got the ABS light on solid and the brake light blinking.
Do you guys pull a engine code and saying ABS failure or some sort?

I hae ABS light on, and brake light flashing, but when I check the engine light code, I get no code indicating the ABS is failed.

So is that still mean my ABS ECU is dead or seomthing?
Gil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS light on and Brake light blinking