Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration Hesitation/Jerking

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Acceleration Hesitation/Jerking

I recently became the proud owner of a 04 2.7T S-Line w/ 29,000 miles. I love the car but have started to experience a problem. It is still under the original factory warranty. The dealership is a bit of a drive so I wanted to educate myself before dropping if off. The car is stock without any aftermarket mods. I'm having issues with the car jerking/ or hestitating upon accelerating. It's happens consistenly but not always under the same circumstances. The hesitation/jerking centers around the third gear. It happens from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. If I accelerate slowly there's no issue whatsoever. If I hit the gas hard it's extremely smooth. Hitting the gas moderately is when the issue typically arises. Accelerating on an incline also seems to worsen the issue. I love to hit the gas pedal but the Pittsburgh city driving I do doesn't permit me to do it often! There are no engine lights or warnings. The car runs perfectly otherwise.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45168/D6B396D940974865B44BD0154A8D72A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Acceleration Hesitation/Jerking

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak some where. Locate and make sure there are no loose tubes or cracked ones, starting from the intake all the way to the turbos and to the intercooler and then back up to the throttle body.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear

I would think that a leak would be worse under hard (full throttle) acceleration. Are you sure it's just not turbo lag?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

It is always tough to try and help with out obviously seeing the car. But the fact that it runs fine at WOT and has issues part throttle and up a hill might be a sign of a bad TQ if the car is a auto. I don't know if they even came in a auto trans. If it is a stick you may have a missfire issue or a small leak also there is the possibility of having bad Dv's as well....or it could be a 100 other things but I would think that these things would top the list

Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

The car is an automatic. This is my first turbo so it's possible that what I consider abnormalities could just be a turbo trait that I need to adapt to. I did have one of my friends driveit whopreviously owned an A4 1.8Tand said his didn't behave anything like that. It begins jerking after the turbos have kicked in. The RPM guage even moves slightly in conjuction with the jerking.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Guys,
New entrant to forum. I drive a 2001 A6 2.7 2T with 88,000 miles. I've recently been experiencing similar jerking. I'm monitoring when it's occuring. For three years commuted interstate highway roundtrip 76 miles daily averaging 70-80mph. Ran beautifully. The last two months commute has changed to city driving. 40 miles roundtrip. Last month began experiencing heavy down shifting, thus the jerking, when slowing to stop. I think I've narrowed it to be from 4th to 3rd gear. Don't notice it when engines cold. The car's well maintained. About to take it to an Audi garage for them to look into it but thought I'd check with anybody here for an idea. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

That is just the way 2.7t's are. Turbo spools up and the power comes on. I owned one for 114,000 miles. Now I have the 4.2 and it is a smooth as can be without the turbos.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Hello everyone - I have a 2003 Audi A4 V6 3.0 (non-turbo) with 78000 miles. I recently started noticing jerking / hesitation problem durring normal driving at low speeds. However, as many of you stated, the problem does not happen if I floor the car.

Has anyone found an answer to this problem yet?

I had a discussion with the dealrship this morning and they suspected the throtle body but were not sure.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 AM

I have a 99 2.8 A6, same jerking (bang)( from 2nd to 3rd under moderate throttle with 300 to 500 rpm jump between shiftpoint. Heavy throttle from stop seems ok and sometimes the occasional bump bump when stopped or put into reverse (like it's disengaging and reingaging in gear). This sounds like a transmission issue indeed. I have been reading up on this and it seems to be an issue in 2.7t's 2.8's and 4.2's. Possibly 3.0's as well. I dont know what to think about it, I just let off the throttle a bit wetween the 2nd to 3rd shift and all is well.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

I drive an MT6, but to me it sounds like fuel problems. Light acceleration ok and WOT ok. The first does not take much fuel and the latter has the injectors wide open. I guess one of you has to take it to the dealer or a good indie and get it diagnosed and fixed, then share.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Hesitation/Jerking