Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acetone used as a fuel additive

Old 04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear
Default Acetone used as a fuel additive

Have any of you out there used acetone as a fuel additive? Several posts down someone mentioned the use of Toluene as fuel system cleaner. While researching its usage I came across several articles explaining the advantages and disadvantages of Acetone usage in gasoline engines.

I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with acetone and is willing to share.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Default RE: Acetone used as a fuel additive

definitely not

Old 04-01-2007, 08:22 PM
SSn
1st Gear

I think that stuff burns too hot. you will shorten your engine's lifetime. It's always a compromise between performance and service time.

Besides your CO is not gonna be good.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

I haven't heard of that one ever. I wouldn't even think of adding that to my tank. I am hesitant to put anything but quality premium fuel in my A6 tank.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the opinions guys, I was skeptical but thought what the hay, I'll see what others have to say.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

Acetone in very small quantities will help a car that is running rough due to combustion deposits in the cylinders and injectors or getting a tank of bad gas. This is not something that you would do on a regular basis. Adding acetone to the gas will make it burn hotter than regular fuel and turn the carbon build up in your combustion chamber to a very fine white ash that easily exits the cumbustion system. It will also remove deposts that build up over time on your fuel injectors much better than an off the shelf fuel additive. I have read extensively on the subject and some people even suggest that the hotter gasses exiting your engine help clean buildup off of your catalytitc converter as well. The general rule is to add 2 oz. of pure acetone to 10 gals of gas - adding more will definitely cause you headaches. Diesel owners report much better results than regular gasoline engines, but that may be due to the fact that diesel is so much 'dirtier' than gasoline.

Again, this should only be done occasionally because over time acetone has an adverse effect on rubber seals and hoses in your fuel system - basically it will slowly dissolve the rubber and other rubberized plastic parts. The dissolved rubber then ends up back in your combustion chamber and will cause more buildup problems than you had in the first place.

If you choose to add the acetone to your tank, try to burn through the gas as fast as you can on the highway.

Toluene is a much more potent solvent with incredibly high VOC. It is used in the vulcanizing process of curing rubber and is also used to etch hypalon surfaces in preparation for bonding - such as on a 'rubber' raft like the kind that the Navy Seals use. It's primary function is to dissolve rubber in order to react with other solvents to form a bond - something you do not want going on in your fuel system.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

I'd like to bring this thread back for a bit. Has anyone tried this themselves? I've never heard of this but am interested in the effect of increasing combustion temps

Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

ave tried this but on a 2lt vectra sri,

it worked for me, car felt more responsive and defo improved mpg,

i added 50ml to a tankful,

is it ok to use on a diesel???

Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

might maybe work for a while,. but remember what sasquatch said.. you fuel system was not built to handle acetone or alcohol. so you'll ruin the rubber in no time...

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

If you're looking for a factory tested & approved fuel additive for an Audi, look no further that your local dealership. VW/Audi currently offers 2 different gasoline additives for these cars...one is an intensive F.I. cleaner and the other is a preventative maintanence dose. They're not too expensive and they won't void any applicable factory warranty when used as recommended.

Last edited by UberTeile; 10-07-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acetone used as a fuel additive