Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 2.5Tdi Slight Misfire /Judder

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Angry Audi A6 2.5Tdi Slight Misfire /Judder

I have recently bought a 2002 2.5tdi A6 and have noticed when driving under light load (just touching pedal) in any gear between 1600rpm and 2200rpm the engine seems to have a slight shudder/judder which can be felt through the whole car. There seems to be no issues with the turbo kicking in and no smoke/ performance issues However the shaking has started to severely annoy me. I have had the car scanned at a local garage and no faults were stored, It seems fine under hard acceleration but just a relaxing drive causes this judder to occur. I was just wondering if anyone as expierienced this before or if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have had the maf cleaned and it made no difference also when you rev the engine in neutral it seems to be faultless...It also idles and revs absolutely A1 it just seems to be when the revs are held between 1600 and 2000 rpm i get this annoying judder/misfire causing the car to shake slightly.... Please help????

Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM

I just bought a 2002 A6 3.0 with 47k miles and am having what seems like the exact same problem. rpms bounce up about 200 rpms under light load for 1 second then back down to normal. As you say between about 1500 and 2000 rps under any gear. This happens continuous every 3-10 seconds and does not matter if the engine is hot or cold. Also dives / shutters down 200 rpms with decelerating. Until I find what it is, I'm manually downshifting to keep the rpms above 2000. I've read through these forums and found everything from a transmission control module, cam follower, or just a transmission fluid and filter change could solve the problem. I also just joined today and was going to post this issue. I'm not a mechanic so hopefully someone with more skills or experience can help you / us. Please post back if you find the issue.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Site Moderator

If BOTH of your cars are front wheel drive, then the problem is with the transmission, not the engine. The FWD models use the CVT (multritronic) trans, which have a myriad of issues which span from engine bucking, to studdering. There are a bunch of TSB's that will probably relate to your specific issue.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 AM

My car is manual 6 speed box the juddering definately feels like a slight misfire and is definately coming from the engine speed doesnt matter it is just in that certain rpm 1200-2000 its as though its choking but if you put your foot down it goes ok its just under light load!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Site Moderator

So you have a manual and its still bucking? I can't help ya there, we don't have the 2.5TDI engines in the states, so i haven't had any first hand experience with it.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM

i'm not sure if this relates to the same issue that you're having but i was having a misfiring issue with my 2008 A6 Avant also.

i have a 2008 A6 Avant and my engine light came on 3 times so far, i took it in the first two time and they said it was because the engine is misfiring and leaving carbon residue. they ended up opening up the engine to clean out the carbon. but after the 3rd time this happen, audi finally said that my problem is a rare event. they asked to keep my car for 4 weeks to do evaluate the problem. audi flew 4 engineers from germany over to their Las Angeles facility to fix the problem. they think that this will be an issue that would eventually warrant a recall for all cars with the same engine model.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default I have the exact same issue! Anybody figure out what it is yet???

I have a 2002 A4 3.0L quattro with the 6 speed manual. If I'm cruising in 4th or 5th gear (sometimes 3rd) at low rpms (around 2000), it sometimes does a quick shudder, like it's misfiring, but then continues to run and idle fine. It never happens in 1st or 2nd... and it seems to me (although I could be wrong) that it's worse when I'm driving in snowy conditions. (I live in Michigan). It runs drives and idles perfect otherwise. It is well maintained and I've just recently replaced all of the spark plugs and ignition coils because it was misfiring on me bad a few weeks ago. I use premium fuel, mobile one oil, all the fluids and filters are new... I'm at a loss. I check the engine codes frequently and all I get anymore is "pin hole leak in Evap system" and "O2 sensor bank 1 yada yada"... Could it be a cam position sensor? My plan is to just keep driving it until it either breaks more, or until it triggers a default code that actually helps me... So frustrating. I have had a lot of small issues with this car, but I just can't justify getting rid of it because it looks and drives so nice, and I can do most repairs myself to save money.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:58 AM
1st Gear

Hi all,

just joined as have just bought an old A4 diesel 1.9 auto and a problem occurred.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the description of the problems above is exactly as I have been trying to describe the problem I am now having. I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences and any ideas for a solution.

thanks

stuart