Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 - Engine Seized

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 - Engine Seized

I have an Audi A6 2.0L TFSI - 5.5 years old with 70k miles - bought it when it was about 16 months old, and has been driving it for 4 years - in fact had been a Audi fan till a couple of weeks back.

Always got my car serviced at Audi -

2 weeks back, I hear a 'Low Oil Level' warning and to turn off engine immediately - I do so and get my car recovered to Reading Audi.

Initially , they assess it to be Oil pump issue, then cam belt issue - now an engine seizure - at each stage the cost goes up - now estimated for over 12,000 !!!

Problem - as described by them

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After stripping down your engine the technician found that the balance shaft sprocket had failed and broken up inside the sump. This caused the engine to seize and consequentially caused the timing belt to fail.

As I discussed with you, the metal fragments from the failed sprocket have dispersed throughout the engine and therefore we cannot guarantee the integrity of the engine. Therefore the correct repair is to replace the engine.

The breakdown of the costs are

Total value of repair £12272.30 incl vat
Goodwill contribution £6136.15 incl vat
Leaving you to pay £6136.15 incl vat

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You buy Audi on brand reputation - not thinking it will last me 5.5 years and 70k !!

Although Audi has given a goodwill on paper , it just does not work out right - to pay 6.3k - !!!

Should I not expect Audi to contribute much more - for an issue like this ??

I feel badly let down by a brand which I had so much trust in ! (own another Volkswagen Polo as well )

Sam