Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear
Question Audi A6 Oil pressure light

I just had the engine replaced on my 1998 Audi A6 Quattro. My machanic got the engine from a salavage yard. Everything checks good except when I drive it for approx 15 miles the oil pressure warning indicator come on. Oil level and the the pressure indicate good. He replaced the oil presure switch and still the same problem. I also had him replace the instrument cluster as I could not read the warning, I could hear it but not see it. It works fine and now I can see the oil can with the warning. The cluster only has 37,500 miles on it my original had 105,000 miles. Any ideas of what could be causing the warning. I have not payed him yet or picked up the car. Thanks

Old 12-21-2008, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear

Are you sure your not getting the low oil level light. The low oil pressure light is generally red and says "STOP". If so you need an oil level sensor.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay here. My guess would be the original engine had it's timing belt break?

Last edited by Jeffla; 12-21-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply Jeff. The light is the oil pressure light for sure. It is displayed as an oil can on the cluster and the familiar three chimes. As I said the oil pressure indicator is good at about 100 psi and the oil level is good. The oil pressure sensor was already changed. Any help is appreciated. Just for the record the drivers side window was malfunctioning. My machanic said it was the window regulator and said if I buy it he would install for $50. I went to the dealer and asked about the regulator. The parts guy tells me it's the clips and not the regulator. It seems the 1998 A6 has has problems with the clips and thay have replaced hundreds. I bought the clips and my machanic installed them and the window now works like new. Total cost $70. Now if i can just get this frickin warning light fixed I will be happy. Cujo

Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

Service light?

Just a guess => you might need the service light reset.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry, I don;t want to hijack Cujoca's thread, but I have a service-indicator display related questions.

If the display shows "IN 2" for the 60 seconds of flashing after ignition, would it be possible to know what "Additional Servicing work" needs to be done without a VAGCom?
Also, can the indicator be reset without a VAGCom?
Thank you.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Ok, here's the follow-up. my mechanic replaced the engine with a 2001. Works great lots of power. The oil pressure warning was fixed by replacing the oil sending unit. The first one he used I guess was used and did not work so he had to send out for a new one. With the new cluster installed I now have a gas gauge problem the needle pointer works in reverse, ie when the needle is pointing to full it's empty. Strange stuff I have to take it back to him this week to check it out. Anyone ever experience this?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

WOW !! A tank that fills up as you drive!

I need one of those.
The only problem is that you'll have to stop and drain the tank or it will overflow and make the environmentalists angry.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default No petrol needed

That's very funny. But you see the mechanic who fixed my A6 was a wee Irishman I think he was a leprachaun and just like in the movie he said I would not need to buy petrol any more. The car refills itself overnight. I am lucky, and I will keep this car forever.