Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 02:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Automatic headlight adjustment

Should a problem with the automatic headlight adjustment be fixed by a certified dealership or a specialized mechanic? I'm sort of hesitant about taking my car to a dealership since they have the tendency to rip you off and give inaccurate diagnosis on the car. It's a minor thing, it just annoys me to see that warning symbol on the display console. Thanks

Old 07-20-2005, 03:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Automatic headlight adjustment

are you still under warranty? Does it only show on inclines or sharp turns or is it permanently fixed?

Old 07-21-2005, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

Well, I just bought the car about a month ago and it's been like that ever since I bought it. And to term it properly, it's the dynamic headlight dimmer control, I had a memory lapse and had forgotten what it was exactly.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

I just purchased a A6 with the upgraded headlight option including Dynamic Level Control as well. On the ride home I noticed that the lightpattern was "pushed" way low on the ground. At first I thought the headlights went out and I was just seeing the driving lights. Upon investigation it appeared as thought the headlights were indeed working but had adjusted themselves WAY LOW. After the car is re-started they appeared to correct themselves (It did happen one more time since, but is not constant). The drive was mostly highway, with no steep inclines bumps or stop-and-goes, and understand the basics of the system (after some forum purusing), so this did seem ODD. Has anyone experienced this abnormality??? The car is "Certified" but I do not want to look like a fool running right to the dealer everytime due to simple lack of Audi knowledge, or if there is a simple fix. On a side note... is there a way to disable the auto adjustment feature (I Know it is there for a purpose, but I do not think all xenon cars do this and it might be advantageous for me - I live in an Extreme Deer Danger Area)

Old 11-24-2005, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

once a code is stored for vertical headlight adjustment, even if its working correctly the light in the dash will stay illuminated. more than likely you just need to clear the code and everything will be fine. as for the other guy with the lights shining low, if the car is certified just take it in and explain that the headlights seem to be aimed low. the warranty should cover, if not just explain to them that you dont want them to do anything to it unless its covered under warranty. is your dipped headlight warning illuminated in the dash?

Old 11-24-2005, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

No the alarms are clear. The issue is intermittant at best, only had the car one day though. Except for two short periods the lights seemed correctly aligned. Can I be sure the alrm works????? (I ssume being "Certified" they would function).

Old 11-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Hi,

I just recently got myself a 2003 A6 2.7T Quattro, I had a similar problem today, when driving on the highway, completely flat road, the Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control warning went off in the instrumentation panel. After getting to work and parking I switched off the car, and switched it back on, now I can no longer see the warning. However I am still concerned if there may be a fault...any ideas?
thanks
Cova

Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

I have not recived any help as of yet. In my case though, I have not recieved any alarms at all and yet again yesterday the left side headlamp dipped down. As usual the lamp corrected itself later. I do plan on bringing this condition up to the dealer. Luckily it is an Audi certified used car.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 PM

I have an 03' A4 with the Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control as well and it just went off warning me this morning as I drove to work. I turned the headlamps on all the way home from work and the fault did not reappear but I am concerned that I am in for an expensive repair. What was the resolution of your situation?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

I took the car into Audi and they said all it needed was a computer programming issue. It is better but in my opinion stilll needs work. The drivers side is not consistant with aiming, it still aims lower than the passengers side on occation. It is acceptable I guess, but not what I would expect from Audi.

Quick Reply: Automatic headlight adjustment