Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux cooling fan will not come on

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Aux cooling fan will not come on

I have a 98 A6 2.8L quattro and the aux cooling fan does not come on with the climate control or on coolant temp. The temp gauge indiactes the car is running about one or two notches over middle. The coolant warning light has not come on. What makes the fan turn on and what is the best way to troubleshoot this. Any ideas on simple fix?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 AM
2nd Gear

Check if it is getting power. Check fuse No. 34.
Run engine to bring temp up then turn off engine, disconnect harness,Visually inspect for pinched wires. Test for power with a test light(have to turn ignition on). If you have power could be a faulty fan (try spinning it to jump start it and see if it takes off). No power could be a faulty sensor or bad wiring. From what I have heard on the forum I would bet on temp switch.
Located at lower cooling house, bottom right.
To Test that you need to bridge or jump the terminals. If you hold the terminal with the fastener on top and flat side left.
Test for power first, Ignition on
Left side female controls 1st speed jump them and see if fan works.
Right side female controls 2nd speed jump them and see if fan works.
If your fan works replace the Temp switch if not. and you do have power check out the fans.
if you don't have power chase the wires back looking for a broken, burnt or pinched line.

two links for the switch, second one has an illustrated view.

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=...609+11921+5747

http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...layCatalogid=0

Last edited by Jackmup; 05-16-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

My aux fan just started making noise on my 98 A6 Quattro 2.8, 30 valve engine (AHA I think). The fan is loose and I'm guessing the bearing is bad since it wobbles. How difficult is it to replace the aux cooling (a/c) fan? Do you have to pull the front of the car off or is it just that one screw at the top of the housing and then a twist to release the tabs and unplug the electrical connector? Is there enough clearance to remove it straight out the top of the engine bay from between the engine and the radiator after removing the cold air intake mouth and tubing ? Thanks

Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

I have similar problem with my fan on my Audi A6 98 Quattro 2.8 30V (AHA). It's been making noises for about 6 months now, however few times I took it out, lubricated and it was ok (ie. quiet). Recently I noticed that my temperature is a bit high - one notch from the center towards high. I checked the fan and it is not spinning. I ordered a replacement fan some time ago, so I finally found some time and installed it. Still doesn't work. The fan is functional - once I applied 12V it was spinning.

Also, I jumped the fan temp switch (1-2 for 1st speed, and also 3-4 for 2nd speed) however fan didn't even moved. I checked fuse 34 and it is OK (without fuse 34 car won't even start and throws some code with CEL - will have to clear it).

Any ideas what else I can check to get my fan spinning? The A/C seems to be working fine while driving, however at idle there is kinda warm air coming out. Is this related to the fan problem? I'm not sure what's my level of refrigerant - however will low level have an impact on these things?

Thanks in advance for any help.

j.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 AM
1st Gear
Default fixed!

OK - the problem is fixed. Looking at the AESIS manual I've found a 40AMP fuse for coolant fan which is hidden behind driver's footwell. The fuse was of course blown - quick trip to auto store for a new fuse and it works like a charm now.

As for the replacing the fan without removing front bumper - it is possible. I'm not saying it's easy, however it's doable. If you have long and thin hands it will be even easier. The main problem is to unhook the old cable from the metal clips around radiator fan - there are two clips at the bottom of the radiator fan housing quite difficult to reach, however it's possible to do it. The electrical connector is located under the black plastic cover that covers Power Steering fluid reservoir.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

where exactly did you fine the fuse ..? have the same problem where did you fine the fuse?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

The fuse is behind the storage compartment on driver's side (under the steering wheel) - see pic

8-Fold Relay Panel behind the storage - driver's side, behind Micro central Electric Panel (up to m.y. 2000) - see pic
1 open
2 Second Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay
3 Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay
4 open
5 open
6 open
7 open
8 open
14 Power Seat Circuit Breaker 1, Driver's Seat
15 Fuse for luggage Compartment Socket
16 Power Window Circuit Breaker Front
17 Power Window Circuit Breaker Rear
18 Fuse 1 for control module - ABS
19 Coolant Fan Fuse
20 Coolant Fan Fuse
21 Control module fuse for coolant fan
22 open
23 open
24 Power Seat Circuit Breaker 2, Passenger's Seat

Attached Thumbnails Aux cooling fan will not come on-storage_compartment.jpg   Aux cooling fan will not come on-relay_panel.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

thnx for the diagram... i changed the orange 40 amp fuse but still luck with the the aux fan... gonna take it to a shop to get them to test the fan and go from there... any idea how much gettting a new fan for it will cost me?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

I've gotten my fan from ebay - $68 including shipping. I think your fan (for A4) is the same as for my car (A6). Check out their eBay store and look for "Audi fan": http://stores.ebay.com/ePartPal

good luck fixing your car

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

My aux fan has been making a ton of racket (whine) for 7 months or so, and now the car seems to be running hotter than usual. Could it be causing oil burn? Looking to lube if that will fix all issues, and replace if necessary.

Quick Reply: Aux cooling fan will not come on