Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary Fan comes on and won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Auxiliary Fan comes on and won't turn off

I have a 2000 Audi A6 Avant Quattro that I recently purchased. I am having issues with the Auxiliary cooling fan. It is coming on right after starting the car, even though it is cold out and the AC is not running. It is running on high, sounds like a jet when on and when I stop the car, the fan drops to low speed but continues to run for several minutes after the car is off. I don't know why the fan is coming on in the cold weather, my understanding is that it supposed to come on when the AC is running and engine is running hot. I did recently replace the engine coolant temperature sensor to adress cold starting issues. I searched the forums and found some complaints about the fan not coming on, but I have a different situation here and was hoping for some input on how to diagnose the problem.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

There is another temperature sensor that activates the fan. It is located on the lower coolant hose next to the radiator on the passenger side. Try replacing it and see if it solves your issue.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Cooling fan comes on and runs continuously when battery is connected.

Originally Posted by kevinruswick
I have a 2000 Audi A6 Avant Quattro that I recently purchased. I am having issues with the Auxiliary cooling fan. It is coming on right after starting the car, even though it is cold out and the AC is not running. It is running on high, sounds like a jet when on and when I stop the car, the fan drops to low speed but continues to run for several minutes after the car is off. I don't know why the fan is coming on in the cold weather, my understanding is that it supposed to come on when the AC is running and engine is running hot. I did recently replace the engine coolant temperature sensor to adress cold starting issues. I searched the forums and found some complaints about the fan not coming on, but I have a different situation here and was hoping for some input on how to diagnose the problem.
my fan only turns off when you disconnect the battery. Is this a sensor and if so how bad is it to change. I have basically no tools