Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Default Auxiliary Water Pump

I took my 2003 A6 to the mechanic the other day because I had a mysterious coolant leak coming from somewhere in the engine compartment. They diagnosed it as a leaking auxiliarycoolant pump (located on top of the engine in the 'V'. But they wanted almost $600 to replace it, even though the part is less than $100. They told me that they have to remove the intake runners to get to the pump, which is why the labor is so expensive.

I've been trying to figure out how involved it is to remove the intake plenum, but I can't find any directions in the Bentley manual to do it. Has anyone tried removing theirs or replaced their aux.coolant pump? Is it possible to do without removing the intake runners?

The leak isn't that bad, but I don't want to have it keep leaking on me if I can fix it. I'd hate to wait until it is time to have the timing belt changed to take care of this problem, but I also don't want to drop $600 on such a small problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Auxiliary Water Pump

The auxilliary watter pump won't get any better, once it starts to leak, its only going toget worse. Its impossible to change without at least lifting up the intake mainfold. Its not too hard to do it just takes time. Take off the turbo Y pipe (silver) then un-bolt the manifold in a cross pattern from the inside out. Lift the manfold up from the front of the engine (it won't come off) look under there with a flash light and you will see air/coolant lines holding the manifold down, dis-connect the coolant lines and sneak out the pump. The job should take you 6-8 hours, so have a six pack close by. [8D]

Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

I had a leak for a long time. Used some radiator sealer to reduce it. (Bad idea in retrospect.) My indie found the cause was the aux water pump when they were replacing the clutch/flywheel. It was easy to get at from back there, I think.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

I had to get my Auxillary Pump changed. I paid $850. They charged 7 hours of labor at $100 an hour, $110 for the pump, and $30 for the gaskets. They threw in a little tax for good measure. I drove my car forabout a year with the pump leaking. I just had to keep pouring antifreeze in it. I got tired of paying $23 a gallon, so I just broke down and got it fixed. I saw the guy take it apart at the dealership. You can't get to it without removing the intake manifold.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same problem a few months ago. If you have a warranty, use it, they will cover it. Mine did. The pump was about 110 I think and labor a little over 3 hours, but most shops charge a flat 6hr labor. I think I got pics somewhere my mechanic had taken... Will see if I can fin them.It is a PITA to have to remove the intake and all to change this fricking pump but the only way I know to get to it. My shop charges $75/hr.
While they had the intake off,I had them throw in some New South Power Gaskets ($60-70) and I love them, look into it. No labor to add. Engine runs much cooler and feels stronger.