Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad EGT Sensor

Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Bad EGT Sensor

So, I went to good year and got new tires today. When I picked up my car they had scanned it for fault codes. Here is what they found.

P1454- Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor Short to ground Intermittent Bank 2
P1462 Implausible Signal Intermittent

Also 01119 Gear Recognition Signal (I had that fixed, but they forgot to clear codes)

As well as
01371, 01572, 01374, 01369, 01368, 01574, 01573 (Alarm Codes)

Anyways I am only really worried about the first one. The bank 2 I believe is the driver's side and also the one that is the bigger pia to fix. Now will that normally show up even without a CEL? And I am strapped for cash at the moment and I know it is advised to replace both sensors, but could I make do with only replacing the once seeing as how these things are 300 or so dollars each? I'm just having horrible luck with this thing anymore.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Mine just went bad as well and no cel. I got 17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235) P1453 - 35-00 - Open or Short to Plus.
I disconnected my battery when I changed the fuel pump. When I was finished that's what showed up. I disconnected the sensor hopping it wouldn't come back, but it has. I found some used at a good price. So Im going to try them for now. If it happens again Im just going to send my ecu in to have them coded out as well as the SAI which I believe is the next thing to take a dump
As far as changing only one Im not sure.From what Ive read you should change out both. Im just changing bank 1 but its used so I dont see why. Ill still have bank2 if that goes bad. ECS has them on sale and free shipping if you have the Black and brown on your car.
Audi C5 A6 Quattro 2.7T > Engine > Electrical > EGT Sensor > ES#2063767 Exhaust Temperature Sensors (EGT) - Set Of Two - 078998124B

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by PhilipM
Mine just went bad as well and no cel. I got 17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235) P1453 - 35-00 - Open or Short to Plus.
I disconnected my battery when I changed the fuel pump. When I was finished that's what showed up. I disconnected the sensor hopping it wouldn't come back, but it has. I found some used at a good price. So Im going to try them for now. If it happens again Im just going to send my ecu in to have them coded out as well as the SAI which I believe is the next thing to take a dump
As far as changing only one Im not sure.From what Ive read you should change out both. Im just changing bank 1 but its used so I dont see why. Ill still have bank2 if that goes bad. ECS has them on sale and free shipping if you have the Black and brown on your car.
Audi C5 A6 Quattro 2.7T > Engine > Electrical > EGT Sensor > ES#2063767 Exhaust Temperature Sensors (EGT) - Set Of Two - 078998124B
Thanks for posting the link!

OP, I've heard of people splicing the two EGT sensors together to clear the CEL. It's a band-aide fix but will hold you over until you have the funds to replace them.

If you search this topic there's a good amount of info out there.

Jason