Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Pepper to stop a leaking water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Black Pepper to stop a leaking water pump?

2000 Audi A6 Quattro -- 2.7 twin turbo, AUTOMATIC. About 115K miles.

I have been slowly losing coolant for several months. Decided to have my
Audi mechanic have a look, but he's not available during the weekend and I
really wanted someone to do a pressure test, so I spent $30 today at Midas.
They traced it to the water pump and thermostat housing -- both leaking.

Quoted something like $2K to replace. Indicated that you have to drop the
entire front end of the car, have the Rolling Stones flown in to play while
the mechanic works, etc.

I asked to speak with they guy who diagnosed the leak and he suggested that I add three teaspoons of black pepper to my coolant -- said it could work wonders. General comments on adding pepper please?

Also, any comments on what I should expect to spend on this repair would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

First off, if you have never done the timing belt this is a good time since both the water pump and thermostat are normally replaced with tensioners. The whole job for a 2.7T is about $900-1000 at an indie and $1500 dealer. It requires the front end to be pulled forward (service position) and takes 6 hours shop time. I would not - repeat would not - add anything non-standard to Audi coolant.

I believe the service is normally performed with a German techno band, not the Stones. Unless it is a much older Audi.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Dont do it!!!!

I have experience regarding this that after hearing nobody with a brain would ever attempt it!!! My wife was on a camping trip 2 years ago in our 97 a6 avant and the rear coolant housing cracked and began to leak causing major issues for her and her passengers. Being in an undeveloped area with only what they had packed for the trip someone mentioned they had heard about their uncle using pepper to stop a leak in a radiator in an old truck one time and it worked perfectly... well part of a pepper shaker and several wraps of ducktape later they were back on their way with a loose cap and a smaller leak... The trip ended 40 miles later with a ride on a flat bed into town and me coming the next morning with the trailer. On getting the car home and hearing the story I immediately flushed the cooling system cursing said uncle under my breath. I repaired the coolant flange and refilled the system and bled the air out of the upper heater hose. Drove the car far enough to realize the radiator must be clogged up and returned home. I removed the radiator and flushed, flushed, and flushed until it sprung a small leak at the tank seam. ( car had 240k ) when I realized it had a leak and replacement was gonna be the smart thing I cut it open to see and found several cooling tubes completely clogged causing about 1/4th of the radiator useless. I replaced the radiator and tried again. No heat... All in all the pepper "trick" cost me a radiator and a heater core. ( 10 hours ) to rectify. Please don't do it!